Question About Bakery

Business By uniquecreations Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 8:56pm by uniquecreations

uniquecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uniquecreations Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 4

To all those who have your own storefront how long do you keep your cupcakes and cakes in the cases. If they don't sell that day do you freeze or refrigerate them for the next day, do you throw them out? There is a new coffee shop opening up and they want to carry my cakes and cupcakes, but I am a licensed home baker so I dont have a storefront so I dont know how long those items will keep in the bakery cases!!! Thanks in advance

3 replies
mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 4

I would certainly keep tight control over my product if I were you. It's your name on it! I stopped selling to a restaurant because the owner would keep my cakes and cupcakes out for over a week. Of course they were stale and tasteless after a certain amount of time. Again - my name on the product.

Don't refrigerate cake at all. It stales much faster. Baked in the morning and frozen at night doesn't seem like a problem to me, but someone else may chime in with a different opinion. And you certainly wouldn't want to refreeze them every day.

I've been to bakeries that sell day-old merchandise at a reduced price. I've bought it - it tastes stale.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 4

This isn't exactly on point to your question, but I got into trouble selling wholesale to a store that in turn sold my products retail. That sometimes requires a different license. Just check to be sure. I too am a licensed home bakery, but do not have a manufacturing license.

uniquecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uniquecreations Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

This isn't exactly on point to your question, but I got into trouble selling wholesale to a store that in turn sold my products retail. That sometimes requires a different license. Just check to be sure. I too am a licensed home bakery, but do not have a manufacturing license.

Thank you all for your response and yes I would definitely keep control over it. Leah, I did ask the man that is the head of the Department of Agriculture in Virginia when I was applying for my license could I sell to resturants and he said that I could, I asked him twice to be sure and he said yes that several people are doing it, so I did make sure of that. I dont live far from the place that wants to carry my cakes so I will be able to monitor it, but I also needed to know just in general the self life of cakes and cupcakes!!! Thanks so much for your quick response you are awesome!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%