Diet Or Sugar Free Cake And Icing

Baking By rhopar33 Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 12:20pm by rhopar33

rhopar33 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:39pm
post #1 of 5

Good Morning Cake Central:

I had a call from a client yesterday who needs a cake for a diabetic. She prefers something wth as little sugar as possible.

Do any of you have a tried and true recipe for a sugar free or low sugar cake? The client prefers some almond flavor so I was wondering if there are any good white cake recipes out there where I can change the extract flavor to almond? I need a recipe that bakes up well in a 9x13 sheet pan.

Also, does anyone have a good recipe for a low sugar/sugar free icing or whipped topping?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rhonda

4 replies
TattooMom25 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 5

I made a really good swiss merange buttercream. I just used splenda in place of the sugar. It took a lot less time to make bc I grabbed the bottled whites which are already pasturized and the splenda melts super quick as u heat it. U don't have to heat it as much so u get to adding the butter sooner. if u are not opposed to a box mix there are quite a few who make a low sugar variety. they r pretty good. oh and I also used coconut milk not coconut cream in place of regular milk in my low sugar cakes. it has much less sugar than regular milk and it adds no coconut taste whatsoever. learned this trick from my grandma who has to adapt many recipes for my grandpa who is sugar restricted.

rhopar33 Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 11:36am
post #3 of 5

I'm still desperately in need of a low sugar recipe that will bake up in a sheet cake pan. Does anyone out there have a recipe? This is for a diabetic.

Thanks!
Rhonda

Samudwin Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 12:16pm
post #4 of 5

You should be able to use your ordinary cake recipe and swap the sugar for sweetener eg. Splenda. Just check the instructions on the back of the sweetener packet.

rhopar33 Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 5

I typically use the WASC variations for cakes. So just use splenda instead of the cup of sugar? Does the cake mix have sugar in it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%