One Deep Cake Or 2 Thinner Ones??

Decorating By mrsspider Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 10:38pm by Maria925

mrsspider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsspider Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:54am
post #1 of 10

Hi,

I am new to the world of cake decorating, having done a few cakes for friends and family I am now completing a decorating course with a view to starting up a little business form home.

When making a cake would you usually use a deep tin and make one cake which you then cut in half to place jam in the middle or would you bake to seperate thinner cakes and then put these together???

I have so far always made 2 cakes and put them together but wondered whether it gave a nicer finish and easier to ice if you just cut one deep cake.

Many thanks in advance for all answers.

9 replies
sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 11:33am
post #2 of 10

I use 3 inch commercial pans and tort it - if I use 2 inch pans, I need to only use 1/2 of the 2nd one which always seesm like a waste to me - but then on the other hand, I hate to tort 3 times - hard enough 2 times lol....I'm also kind of confused on this - hope to see some good advice too from other cc'ers.

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:32pm
post #3 of 10

Hi

I use 3 inch pans, split cakes into 3. This seems to work best for me after trying every which but loose!!!!

CP x

kellyanne1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyanne1981 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 10

i do both. if im short on time i split into two tins. but i also do all in ones. i suppose its personal preference. what u feel best doing. good luck n happy baking xx

sokelengl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sokelengl Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 10

I will use 3 inches tin to bake the cake and split into three. It saves your time from lining the extra pans.

Lisa

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 10

I personally find it easier to back a deep pan cake and cut into layers - it just seems to give a better finish - but that maybe because I've really only got into caking over the last couple of years and am still finding out new and better ways icon_rolleyes.gif

mrsspider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsspider Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 10

thanks for the replies thats great, do most of you cut your cake into 3 layers instead of just 2??

sorry for all the questions

thanks

bcarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcarb Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:22pm
post #8 of 10

I have a question after reading "Sugarandstuff"'s comment regarding baking 2 of the 2 inch round cakes, torting them in half, using only 3 layers and discarding the 4th. I'm new to all of this, but why wouldn't you use the forth layer, as long as you did the same each tier. Would it because a forth layer would be too heavy and squish the bottom 3 layers.
I love this site......

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:37pm
post #9 of 10

I am the exception to the above. I have the 3 inch deep pan but I don't like it. I prefer, 2 - 2 inch layers and torted into 4 layers with 3 layers of filling. Sometimes I just do the two layers of cake and one thick layer of filling. My 3 inch pans took forever to bake and that is an issue for me because I'm a hobby baker and I just don't have the time for those to bake and cool etc.

But I can see if I did high volume there is a benefit to the 3 inch pans.

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:38pm
post #10 of 10

I bake in 2 2" pans and split each layer to get me to 4" high. If you use one 3" pan and split into 3 layers are your cakes 4" as well or are they taller???

I'm getting ready to buy a 10" round and can't figure out which way to go either icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%