Might Be A Daft Question But Wha Do U Use To....

Decorating By kellyanne1981 Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 12:50am by indydebi

kellyanne1981 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:47am
post #1 of 11

hi there

might me daft, but what do u use to stick silver balls to the sides of cakes. do u sugar glue or royal ice, also how do u actually apply them ive tried tweezers and the end of a paint brush...i lose more than i apply lol

is it a case of practice makes perfect??

thanks

kel xx

10 replies
Caths_Cakes Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 11:00am
post #2 of 11

Hi kelly, i do it both ways, with sugar glue and royal icing icon_smile.gif

and i find using tweezers is much much easier, but i usually keep a little pot full of 'balls' beside me because i do still manage to drop a couple, but i just hunt round after them and put them back in the pot

when i use royal, i just a small piped dot of royal on to the cake, and place the ball on it.

If i use sugar glue, i do it while the icing(sugar paste) is still soft, i put a small dot of sugar glue on to the icing, then press the ball into it, so it creates almost a little divet in the icing.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

solascakes Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 11:14am
post #3 of 11

I use piping gel,royal icing,I always have those little ready made royal icing type king of frosting in a tube,in different colours so I also use those (it prevents me having to mix royal icing). I apply them with my fingers or flat nose tweezers if I can find them.

kellyanne1981 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 11

thanks to both of you. never thought of using pipng gel.
kel icon_smile.gif xx

indydebi Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 11

I just used my regular BC icing to glue them in place. I must be a really lazy person 'coz i never saw a need to make 2 or 3 different icings for different functions. Everything I do is in BC. (and the purpose of royal icing for anything other than cookies totally escapes me).

Mb20fan Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 11

Here are the tweezers I use for that...there are little pockets at the tips for the pearl/dragee to sit in, but I find if I just grab the dragee midway with the tweezers, I don't damage the cake with the tweezer's tips as I place them on the cake. Hope that made sense...it did in my head.

Here is the link to the site I purchased from.
http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=CD0558&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&sid=GoogleProdAd&tid=CSE&cvsfa=2792&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=434430353538

kellyanne1981 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:33pm
post #7 of 11

indydebi - again never thought of bc

Mb20fan lol it does make sense..ty icon_smile.gif

i think im gonna have to have a play!!

thanks again xx

tryingcake Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:10pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

(and the purpose of royal icing for anything other than cookies totally escapes me).

Thank you!! I was told I had to learn to work with RI or I'd never make it as a decorator... HA! haven't made the stuff in at least 6 years. I'm 100% with you on this one!

and I'm not talented enough for string work... that's the only exception I can think of.....

indydebi Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 12:48am
post #9 of 11

Nope! I do stringwork in regular icing. when I first started cake decorating, in the days LONG before fondant and you had to know how to pipe, stringwork was almost mandatory on all cakes. No one ever told me "you hvae to use royal" and it never occured to me that I needed to make a different kind of icing.

Ignorance is bliss!! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 12:50am
post #10 of 11

Nope! I do stringwork in regular icing. when I first started cake decorating, in the days LONG before fondant and you had to know how to pipe, stringwork was almost mandatory on all cakes. No one ever told me "you hvae to use royal" and it never occured to me that I needed to make a different kind of icing.

indydebi Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 12:50am
post #11 of 11

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%