Left Over Egg Whites - What Do You Do With Yours?

Baking By zespri Updated 23 Feb 2011 , 11:56pm by Zahn

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 8:45am
post #1 of 10

So I have some recipes which call for egg yolks, but not the whites. What do you do with your left-over egg whites?

I've made meringues before, that was good. I guess I could find a white cake recipe, but I've just got my cake out of the oven and it's 9:45pm, so it's the kind of thing you'd have to do on a weekend when you have lots of time.

I also thought about royal icing. The whites are currently in the fridge. I saw a youtube video recently where the lady was demonstrating how to make royal icing, and she said at the beginning that she'd cracked the eggs the day before, but she didn't explain why. Anyone know? google tells me they'll keep for up to three days in there.

9 replies
birdlady9771 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdlady9771 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:41pm
post #2 of 10

Freeze them - I believe an ice cube tray holds 2 eggs whites per "cube".

kimber59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimber59 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:05pm
post #3 of 10

I add them to my husbands egg beaters!

annie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie84 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 10

I use them as glue when making gum paste flowers

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 10

Make SMBC!!!!! I always do this with whites and then freeze it- it keeps beautifully and is really handy in making fillings and icing.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 10

Angel food cake icon_smile.gif mmmmm

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 10

I make a batch of mousseline buttercream (cake bible). Leave out any flavoring. Freeze the BC. When ready, defrost completely. Rewhip and add flavoring. I try to always have some in the freezer. Another idea - make an egg white omelet. Add some low fat cheese, green peppers, Canadian bacon and you have a yummy, easy, healthy dish. I use so many whites, my dilemma is the opposite- what to do with all the yolks!

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 10

ooh!! making some sort of icing is a great idea! I have been dying to/scared to try IMBC, maybe I can finally give it a try *bites fingernails*

Yortma - I'm not sure if you have 'french toast' where you are, but whenever I make a pavlova that's what I do with the egg yolks - or give them to the dog. French toast is eggs (or egg yolks) thrown into a bowl with milk, I like to add some vanilla and a pinch of sugar. Then you dip some stale bread in it, and fry it in the frying pan. Yum! In restaurants people usually eat it the same way you would eat waffles, but at home I always have it with tomato sauce (ketchup), which I think most people find a little gross, but it's what we grew up with.

mimi1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi1218 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 4:59am
post #9 of 10

coconut macaroon cookies and a lot of them. Quick easy and delicious.
good luck!

Zahn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahn Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 11:56pm
post #10 of 10

Hi, I am new here. This is my first time. I usually make Fluffy Frosting. you cook granulated sugar with water and cream of tarter until it reaches a medium hard ball stage (i believe 260) and meanwhile, you beat 4 egg whites until it reaches peaks and then slowly pour the sugar mixture in the egg mixture and when it is finished, you should have frosting - then add vanilla.

I really wanted to know if anyone here lives in Charlotte, NC and knew where i could purchase high ratio shortening. I took Wilson classes and the frosting is too greasy. It leaves the shortening at the top of your mouth. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%