Real Basic Questions From A Newbie!

Decorating By Ninky Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 11:07am by janeoxo

Ninky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ninky Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 7:19am
post #1 of 8

Sorry all but I have some REAL basic questions.

Where is a good tutorial on the stacking or tiering of fruit cakes and the different equipment you can use, I don't want to use pillars, but something to give a small gap.

Do you have to use different methods of stacking for the different types of cakes used. Here in the tropics I only make fruit or mud or carrot cakes as they last more than ten minutes in the heat.

Also some information on how you cut a stacked or tiered cake please. If this wedding cake I am doing for my daughter works I will be the one to cut it. Thought it might be a good idea to make a kitchen cake and pre cut it, any thoughts if this is a good idea?

Last (sorry about all this) if you were making a fruit cake for friends would you put nuts in it or is that too risky these days with so many allergies.

Thanks so much!

7 replies
Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 8

I can't help with all of your questions but it depends on what type of cake you are stacking. If it is soft cake you will need to use dowels or another type of support system. In most cases fruit cake is ok just being stacked but it does depend on how dense it is and the weight of what you are putting on top.

For cutting just take the cakes apart and cut as though they were individual cakes.

If it is for your own friends you may know if there is anyone with a nut allergy or how severe. In general for cakes for other people I would use nuts in cakes that people would expect nuts to be in, eg carrot cake and fruit cake but not add them "for the sake of it" into other cakes. I would expect though that anyone with a nut allergy would find out before ever having any cake if there is nuts in it if they had any doubt.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 8

Ninky..... Have you heard of " hidden pillars" ? I use them all the time.... they are from the Wilton company...... they are hollow plastic pillars that slip right down into your cake..... you can cut them to any height, and if you want a slight gap between the layers, that is the way I would go..... use a separator plate with the little "FEET" on them, and they will fit right into your pillar...... it give FANTASTIC support, and helps keep the layers from shifting....... you can even wait until you get to the venue before stacking the cake if you want...... MUCH easier for transporting the cake....

Indydeby (SP) showed us how she cuts her cakes..... SOOO EASY !
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/93737

sokelengl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sokelengl Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 8

Hello,

Here is the instructions of stacking cake without using pillars. I hope this page will solve your problems.

http://cake-links.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-to-stack-wedding-cake.html

Regards,

Lisa

Ninky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ninky Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:50am
post #5 of 8

Thank you, no I had not heard about hidden pillars, so thats great. I have only ever made single tier cakes and am worried sick about this wedding cake, thanks for helping all!

Tarina-rina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tarina-rina Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 10:00am
post #6 of 8

Has anyone used a whipped cream or a non-dairy whipped cream icing to crumb a cake prior to using a fondant over the cake. Would this create a problem? I don't really like the taste of butter cream when I fill my cake with fresh strawberries. I am not really fond of butter cream at all. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use instead of a butter cream under fondant icings? TIA

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 10:37am
post #7 of 8

Jam (preserve) would work. One of the problems with cream would be that you would need to refridgerate the cake.

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:07am
post #8 of 8

Sorry I have to disagree with Jennifer, fruit cake should still be dowelled for stacking

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%