Picture - Need Advice

Decorating By Pamcakes3 Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 12:36am by Pamcakes3

Pamcakes3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pamcakes3 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:08am
post #1 of 5

Hi Ladies & Gents!

I'm doing my first wedding cake this weekend and this is the photo they provided for me:

** Sorry it's so big...

They want it 2 tiers to feed 100 people. I was thinking a 10inch base would work, but I'm not so sure and would like your input. Also, Do the tiers on this cake look rediculously tall? How many layers at what size do you think it is?

The cake flavor is Cleveland Cassata (Sponge Cake with Custard and fresh strawberries as filling) and it's supposed to have a whipped cream icing, but I'll be making fondant for per their request. I'm worried about multiple layers with this filling, but I supposed I don't have to do it on each layer.

One more question - What color pink do you think I should use to obtain this color - they call it "Dusty Rose" Do you think Rose Pink with a little Peach would pull it off?

Any information would be helpful!

Thank You!

[/img]

4 replies
cakeaholic_cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaholic_cakery Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:16am
post #2 of 5

As far as needing 100 servings - I would definitely go with a larger base (larger than 10 inch) as the top tier is typically saved by the bride and groom for their anniversary.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:20am
post #3 of 5

The color looks more like just peach to me...it would be good if you could really pin down the color with them eg. swatch of fabric. The photo is poor quality so even a better photo might help you out.

You should ask the B&G if they want to save the top tier or not. Not everyone does these days.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:35am
post #4 of 5

10 inch cake equal 28 servings, 8 inch cake equal 20 servings, 6 inch cake equal 12 servings.
Definitely you need a bigger base - what about a 14 inch base (63 servings) and a 10 inch tier on top(28 servings) ?

Pamcakes3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pamcakes3 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:36am
post #5 of 5

Sorry, I gues I should have mentioned that I'm making a small cake for their first anniversary seperately - They don't want it included in the 2 tiers, so both tiers will be used to feed the guests.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%