Cover Frozen Or Thawed

Decorating By ATL_Cakes Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 2:03pm by leily

ATL_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATL_Cakes Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone!

I'm covering my first fondant cake in Satin Ice tomorrow. Once I tort and fill them, can I cover them in fondant if they are still frozen? This is for a big party at work, so I can't have my fondant crack or sag when the cake start to defrost!

TIA

5 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:58am
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Cakes

Hi everyone!

I'm covering my first fondant cake in tomorrow. Once I tort and fill them, can I cover them in fondant if they are still frozen? This is for a big party at work, so I can't have my fondant crack or sag when the cake start to defrost!

TIA

NO! Don't cover the cake while frozen! The condensation from inside will cause weeping and sagging of the fondant when the cake comes to room temp.

I don't even suggest filling them frozen.

I personally allow the torted layers to come nearly to room temp, assemble, crum coat, chill for just a few minutes, and then cover with fondant.

Rae

vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:05am
post #3 of 6

Ditto - you could have some tears and a loud scream "STOP, PLEASE STOP" - as you watch your cake morf into a wrinkled mess! Not that I would know the tears and the screams... just sayin icon_smile.gif

Unwrap the frozen cakes, leave on your counter until they are room temp. If you are carving the cakes, its nice to have them a little frozen to get nice cuts (less crumbs)... but still wait to cover until they are thawed out.

HTH

Vicki

ATL_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATL_Cakes Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 2:32am
post #4 of 6

You both made me laugh out loud! Thank you so much for your honest advice and suggestions. Really, thank you SO much!!! I'm sure you saved me a lot of heartache and pain. icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 2:48am
post #5 of 6

I actually thaw my cakes still covered, I heard that the moisture will stay in that way.
I haven't done a comparison on thawing wrapped and unwrapped though but the way I do it works for me so I've stuck with it.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlk

Unwrap the frozen cakes, leave on your counter until they are room temp.

I also dissagree with this, i leave my cake covered until they thaw out. if you unwrap them the moisture will evaporate while thawing and give you a dryer cake than if you left it wrapped.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%