Pvc Pipe Support?

Decorating By SSGirly Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 9:18am by chocolatestone

SSGirly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSGirly Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 8

Is PVC pipe support overkill in a 3 tier (6",8",10") cake that will be traveling assembled for 40 minutes?

7 replies
VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 8

Why not just use the sps system?

SSGirly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSGirly Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 8

I've looked into that but I don't really understand it... if I slam on the brakes (heaven forbid!) what is keeping the cake from toppling over??

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 8

sounds like overkill. i sturdy cake drum on the bottom, well supported tiers, and a wooden dowel skewered through it all should be good.

metria Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 8

the notches on the SPS boards prevent the tiers from sliding. if you're stopping hard enough to make something topple, you probably have worse problems then a smooshed cake!

metria Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 8

sry, "notches" isn't the right word. um ... stick pricky thingie. sry, i can't find the right word to describe it or a picture.

metria Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

sry, "notches" isn't the right word. um ... stick pricky thingie. sry, i can't find the right word to describe it or a picture.

peg! that's the word.

chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:18am
post #8 of 8

I travelled for about the same time with a 3 tier cake which was 12", 9" and 6". I used thick firm straws which I think would be like the bubble tea straws I see everyone talking about. I put a dowel through the centre of the cake and had absolutely no problem. I put the cake in a box which I placed on the floor of the car which had rubber mats. I did this because I wanted to keep an eye on the cake. Had no problems whatsoever. Its the green 70th birthday cake in my pics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%