Cupcake Filling That Does'nt Need Refrigeration

Decorating By lynettelovestobake Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 11:41pm by lynettelovestobake

lynettelovestobake Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 7

I need a filling that doesn't require refrigeration. I'm doing cupcakes, vanilla & chocolate, for a wedding in Charlotte,NC in August. Do you know how HOT it is here in the summer!!?? I can bake them and freeze them but will have no way to refrigerate them for 2 days. I've seen the filling that's like HOHO filling, but would love to do a lemon filling or something. Anybody out there got any ideas? Thanks.

6 replies
LindaF144a Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 7

Anything fruit related will need refrigeration. My advice is to find something without fruit. And be careful with a filling that has diary products also.

Personally I don't like fillings. And I especially don't like the cupcakes where the filling is the same as the icing. Although it sure is good for when you want to taste the frosting in every bite. So I guess I don't dislike it that much.

Good luck. I don't think I was much help really.

zespri Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 7

what about lemon curd? It sits on the shelf at the market without refrigeration, so it should be fine in your cupcakes...?

leily Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 7

if you want it shelf stable i recommend buying some of the sleeved fillings. I know there are a few different brands out there, but they come in 2# sleeves and they last a long time! They would be great as a filling in cupcakes. They come in all sorts of fruit flavors too.

lynettelovestobake Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 7

I don't understand what a sleeved filling is.

sillywabbitz Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 7

Lemon curd requires refridgeration once opened. Sleeve fillings are fillings you purchase online or from a cake shop and they are shelf stable for several days. Jams and jellies are also shelf stable as is products like bettercream. I was told pie fillings are also shelf stable for several days . Ganache is also stable and that makes a super yummy filling.

Easy shelf stable filling:
melt some jam (so it's not clumpy) and mix it into your regular buttercream.
Pie filling mixed in your buttercream
straight jam or pie filling but to me they taste like what they are when you do this.

Mix bettercream with a small box of pudding for a mouse like filling and they make lemon pudding as well as a ton of other flavors. The hardest thing with bettercream is finding it. Usually you have to go to your local cake shop but I thinkGordon Food supplies and maybe Smart and Final carry it as well.

Things that are not shelf stable: whipping cream, things made with egg whites and curds.

Hope that helps a little. I'm so paranoid about this stuff I mostly use jams with buttercream or bettercream options.

lynettelovestobake Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 11:41pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you soooo much. You helped me immensely. Thank you for your kindness and sharing your knowledge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%