Cakeballs/pops - Candy Coating, Does This Sound Right?

Decorating By sweetmonkeycheese Updated 13 Mar 2011 , 1:51pm by vickymacd

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 13

I made a few cake balls and then melted the wilton candy melts. When watching a vid on found on the CC that linked to Bakerella it seemed that my melts were not "runny" enough, the melted very creamy and smooth, but when I put the cake ball into the bowl it did not coat the ball evenly. It seemed like it should be runnier so the extra can roll off the ball and leave a smooth ball.

I learned that adding a lil milk does nothing but make it all chucky and hard very quickly! lol I thought that it would but I had to try and see for myself.

12 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 13

you can add either veggie shortening or paramount crystals to help thin it out:

https://www.ckproducts.com/productdetails.asp?getresults=3673

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 13

If you can still get it at Sam's buy the Ghirardelli dipping bars. They can also be ordered on line last time I checked.

Far better than anything else I've ever used in consistency and taste. The bars at Sam's are 6.48 for a 2 1/2 lb bar. They come in White and doulbe milk chocolate. While the maker sells them for 12.00 each.

cakeymom

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeymom

If you can still get it at Sam's buy the Ghirardelli dipping bars. They can also be ordered on line last time I checked.

Far better than anything else I've ever used in consistency and taste. The bars at Sam's are 6.48 for a 2 1/2 lb bar. They come in White and doulbe milk chocolate. While the maker sells them for 12.00 each.

cakeymom

When I went last time to buy some at our local one, they were sold out and told me that they were a seasonal item and they would not have them again until the holidays. I looked online too and the only place I found any were in AL, which is not far from where my dd lives. So we went there and bought all they had left.
We got 26 bars, and we are going through like crazy, since we got more orders for this weekend. We used some other kind of chocolate on our cake balls and our customers could tell the difference. It is the best for making any kind of candies.

WAdora66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WAdora66 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 13

I don't like to use Wiltons because of consistency & taste. I like Merckens. If I need to thin it out a bit, I'll use the paramount crystals too.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 13

I've added a little crisco and that seems to do the trick, I've never heard of the crystals, where I can I find them? I use Wilton Melts and they taste fine.

tiaracakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiaracakes Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 13

I bought both wilton and merckens this past weekend. The pink merckens was thik and difficult to dip with but the wilton (gasp!) melted without any problems and I didnt have to use crystals or veg oil to thin it.
I normally use Chocoley but I just wanted to try the Merkens. I dont think I will be buying any more of that.

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:21pm
post #8 of 13

Does anyone else find the Wilton melts to be inconsistent? I'm convinced they have to be very fresh...and they'll behave well. If they are older, I think they don't melt as well, and will clump. I really wish they'd put an expiration date on the bags. I've bought bags that seemed fresh, while others didn't. The lavendar color is often discolored in the store...the whole rack! Anyone else have that happen?

kdbohm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbohm Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:35pm
post #9 of 13

I haven't used Wilton's to cover cake balls. I also don't have anywhere close to me that carries Merkens and haven't ordered any online.

I always use the blocks of the candy bark from grocery stores. I will melt about 3-4 blocks and add a few squares of bittersweet or semi-sweet Ghiradelli's chocolate in with it. I've never had issues with it not melting smooth or not covering smooth. I haven't added Crisco either.

cakestars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestars Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:52am
post #10 of 13

i've had good luck with the almond bark candy from walmart. comes in vanilla and milk chocolate. i had no luck with candy melts either. i'd love to try them again with the paramount crystals though.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 2:12am
post #11 of 13

We used candy melts last night and added about 2 tablespoons of shortening and it worked great. My problem is I hate the flavor of candy melts. I'm going to try and hunt down the ghirardelli dipping barsicon_smile.gif thanks for the tipsicon_smile.gif

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 1:35pm
post #12 of 13

I used Nestles` vanilla chips last night with a little Crisco. Worked fine other than my cracking issue....which I've read is because the balls were too cold.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 1:51pm
post #13 of 13

I always use the Wilton for the color variety and if using just white or chocolate I use the blocks from Walmart. I always add Crisco solid to the melts to keep it from seizing up and also for a smooth coat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%