First Cake Desarster!! Advise Please

Decorating By Zita85 Updated 8 Feb 2011 , 9:47pm by cakesnglass

Zita85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zita85 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 4

This is probably not a major thing but as i am doing this cake for my cousins wedding which is in 3 days time it is a big thing to me.

I have just spent the whole afternoon on the middle cake which is vinilla sponge with butter cream in the midddle. It was all going to plan untill i iced it and it decided to bulge round the sides as if the buttercream was squishing out. i was tring to smooth it but it wasnt working. I have decited to scrap that one and start again.

Can anyone give me some advise on how to do this and keeping it smooth? I am new to all this and have done loads of fruit cakes but she wants sponge and i just want it to be perfect for her : )

3 replies
mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 4

Was this after you stacked the cakes together? If so, are you supporting each tier?

Cakes have tendency to settle and thereby creating the infamous 'buldge' My advice is try Leah's method and to fill your cake, cover it and then place a tile on top and give it at least 3-4 hours to settle if not longer. Then you can scrap off or smooth out the buldge and then ice the remainder of the cake. Works for me.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 4

I pipe a dam of thickened BC around the edge of the cake and then fill with the regualr BC.

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 4

Make sure you have leveled your cakes, they should be completely flat any hump will push out your filling and cause the bulging once you place that layer on top. I also like to use a stiffer buttercream (add extra sugar) for the dam and then add the filling. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%