4 Tiered Cake- 2 Questions

Lounge By Niki11784 Updated 8 Feb 2011 , 8:18pm by leily

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 5

1. How do I store MMF? I was planning on making it tonight, and covering the cake tomorrow.
2. If the tiers are round- 6'',8'',10'' and 12'', how many bubble tea straws should I use in each tier? I dont want to overdowel, or underdowel...

4 replies
simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 5

1. to store: roll some plastic out on your counter, make a round shape with the MMF and then put a layer of crisco on the outside of it, then plop it on the plastic and wrap. Use a couple layers then toss all of it into a zip loc bag (gallon size obviously). You can also use tupperware, but I find my zip loc bags work great.
2. Everyone does this differently but I always divide the cake size in 1/2 to figure out my dowels. So I would put 5 in the 12" to hold the 10", I would put 4 in the 10 " to hold the 8", then 3 in the 8" to hold the 6". A good way to figure out placement would be to use the cake pans. Soo, Flip the 10" cake pan upside down and then gently place on top of the 12" cake in the center. Gently lift off and now you have a circle lined out and can see and plan where to place the dowels and then placing your cake should be a sinch too icon_smile.gif Take the 8" and cake pan and place on top of the now stacked 10", wash, rinse, repeat previous steps! icon_wink.gif

HTH and again, be sure to read through threads for everyones tips on doweling bc everyone does it in a different way and mine may only work for me who knows?! LOL

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks! I really want to nail tiered cakes this time, so I am reading,reading reading! Half the dowels sounds like so few! It doesnt make you nervous? Also, does the fondant need to be refridgerated?

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 5

If you have too many dowels, cutting the cakes becomes an issue and also even bubble straws can cause stress to the inside cake structure. You can use a center dowel going through all the tiers too for more security. Also a great help is using royal icing to glue the tiers together. So after you dowel put some RI on and then place your next cake on. The RI acts like glue icon_smile.gif

Now your other option to make sure you're not gonna have any topples would be the SPS. If you search that on CC you'll get a ton....and I mean a ton of info on it. Sorry I don't have the thread off hand, but Leahs has a great tutorial for it.

I don't use SPS very often but people swear by it, worth ya checking out icon_smile.gif also YouTube is amazing I have seen a ton of tutorials on stacking cakes!!

GL

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysouthern

,,, then 3 in the 8" to hold the 6".

I have to disagree with only putting 3 under the 6" 3 creates a triangle and if not perfectly placed can not properly support the 6" cake. I suggest 4 so that you have a more stable support surface.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%