Intense Colors In Buttercream

Decorating By poorladyj Updated 8 Feb 2011 , 6:26pm by cakelady2266

poorladyj Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 3

Does anyone have a trick to getting truly intense colors in buttercream? Hate to be stuck with just Royal to dec with when the colors need to be saturated!

2 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 3

It all depends on the icing recipe you are using and the brand of coloring..I have found that Italian and Swiss meringue buttercreams don't give you the saturated color you are wanting because of the butter content in the recipe...But my Whimsical Bakehouse recipe does.Most buttercreams recipes also will give good color you just have to find one that you like.Also Wilton colors take alot more to get a vivid color and often require multiple bottles for colors like red and black.Americolor and Chefmaster as the best as the colors are gel liquids that come in a squirt bottle opposed to picking it out with a toothpick and offer better vivid colors using less coloring.

cakelady2266 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 3

It may have to do with the brand coloring you use. Wilton will never give you a deep rich color. Cake Craft color is what I use. They make a line "super" colors, black, navy, Chinese red, violet, true brown and others. Also try letting the colors develop over a couple hours or more. Hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%