Wilton Castle Cake

Business By vlk Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 2:36pm by Chasey

vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 14

I have a friend that wants me to make this cake - but I've read that transporting can be a BY**, wanted to know if that is true.

Should I plan on putting the whole cake together at the birthday party? awkward ! to say the least - icon_confused.gif

WTH - do I do ?

Vicki

13 replies
mommakabob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakabob Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 14

It is very hard to transport, I would play it safe and put it together there. Good Luck!

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 14

i agree, I put mine together at the party. just show up early and do it there if you hate people watching you do this like i do. or do it in another room, kitchen or dining room, but don't be tempted to try and move it once it's all assembled.
http://bakencake.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/save-cake-1.jpg

vlk Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 14

geez... sounds like I will have to come early and set up!

Thanks - bakencake *Beautiful Castle Cake... Great job!

cakesbymindysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymindysue Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 14

Glad I saw this. I am doing one this week as well for a friend's daughter. I only have a couple miles to go so I'll have to look at it a little more before I start. I do know it says you can use the plastic dowels to help support the turrets, maybe if I keep them on the longer side it will help. I really don't feel like finishing it there as they will be getting ready and the grandparents usually get there early as well so there will already be a good number of people there before the party actually starts.

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:15am
post #6 of 14

I've made this cake twice. Once I constructed it before I delivered it and it traveled mostly OK. I needed to reposition one or two towers. The second time I made it, it was a wedding cake and I couldn't justify taking any chances that it would get damaged during transit so I constructed it on site.

sweetcakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:39am
post #7 of 14

I did this one last year, and two of my turrets came loose on the 8 mile drive. My husband was driving so I was able to hold them in place and resecure at the location. If you do decide to assemble before delivering, use enough icing to secure the turrets to your cake and you should be okay- unless it's a long drive, then I would assemble at the party just to be safe.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:45am
post #8 of 14

The one I made transported OK but would have done better on a sturdier base.

The base board flexed and the turrets separated from the base so they were only being held up by the frosting on the side of the bottom tier.

The towers on the second level had plastic dowels attached w/melted chocolate and they stayed up fine. I put the ones on the VERY top on when I got to my friend's house.

Even with the "loose" towers on the bottom it was fine inside until my friend moved it outside into the sun icon_eek.gif the towers started to slide.

If I had to do it again, I would put it on a thick cake drum instead of cardboard or foam core and then glue those towers down with RI. The dowels worked fine for the upper towers.

Good Luck
Kristy

lynn1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynn1968 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:54am
post #9 of 14

huh. i wasn't aware people actually got these things. good to know.

vlk Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:56am
post #10 of 14

Thanks everyone, talked to my friend... explain the logistics of the cake - and she is so sweet and worried about me - that we are looking at other design concepts that are castle/fairy...cinderella like.

I dont have a problem doing the castle cake (something new!) so if the birthday girl wants it.. she shall get her castle - Aunt Vicki will make sure of it! I have seen the castle cake made with ice cream cones (regular) and the pointy ones... using RI as glue and painting melted chocolate on the whole thing to hold together is also another idea?!

Gosh, by the time I'm done - you maybe able to hold it up side down on a rollercoaster and still have a cake! LOL LOL

cms2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cms2 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:18am
post #11 of 14

I made one of those and if I remember correctly the bottoms of the turets are solid plastic. I hot glued them to the board. I also used a solid wood base. I transported it and I didn't have any issues but I was a nervous wreck! HTH

yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:38pm
post #12 of 14

You could use melted chocolate to secure (thanks Sharon from SugarShack)

I did with with my castle and transported and it didnt move an inch!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugardelites/5231740932/

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:49pm
post #13 of 14

if you do decide to go with the wilton castle cake kit make sure you get a %50 off coupon!!!!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 2:36pm
post #14 of 14

I made a castle cake with fondant wrapped paper towel holders and drove with it 90 mins, no problem.

I outlined the bottom of the tubes with royal icing and attached them to the board and to the side of the cake. For the towers standing on the cake, I attached with RI as well, but they had two dowels for them to slide over. That kept them from tipping on the soft cake.

I like arriving with the finished cake instead of being watched as "the magic happens." icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%