Need Help Pricing A Cake

Business By eangelgod Updated 8 Feb 2011 , 7:58pm by TexasSugar

eangelgod Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 4

I made a valentine cake for the office. Now I have 3 people wanting this cake. Its a 12X2 in wilton heart cake pan. Takes 7 cups of batter... How much do I charge...? I am a beginner and new this this. I cannot understand the guides in the Wilton Year books.. Please any advice would help...I thought i was reading 12x2 serves 50-55 people at should cost like 50-55 dollars..

Or should I charge 30-35 dollars for the 12x2 valentine cake....I was thinking do doing a 8X2 inch cake and torting it and charging 30-35 dollars to feed 20-25 some people are saying I should charge 30-35 dollars for the 12X2...Help...and we just have one mom/pop bakery here...Help icon_smile.gif

3 replies
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 4

According to the Wilton party cake chart, a 12-inch heart serves 34. This would give you 1.5 X 2 inch slices. In order to determine how much to charge per serving, you would need to figure out cost of materials, how much time it takes you and how much you want to pay yourself, and how much profit you want to make.

Not to rain on your parade, but are you licensed to sell cakes? Depending on where you live, you may or may not be legally allowed to sell cakes baked in your home.

brensmom12 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 4

Before you get any other replies let me ask the inevitable question...can you legally work out of your home (I am assuming you do not have a commercial kitchen you work out of). If you are going to charge then you should have a certified kitchen you work out of. There are many who don't, but if you are planning on selling you should have one.

To go back to your question about charging...that is something only you can decide. I charge by the piece and base my prices on the type of icing (BC vs Fondant) and any other decorations that might be requested (i.e. flowers, figures, etc). You have to look at materials (not just ingredients, but boards, drums, boxes, etc.), time, labor, utilities. If they want a cake by you then they will pay your prices.

Also I don't know where you are getting your sizes, but I think you are using a wedding cake portion. If you use the Wilton site a Party cake portion for a 12"heart should be 34 and the Wedding is 56.

Good luck! HTH!

TexasSugar Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 4

Quote by @%username% on %date%