New To Ckae World.....hello Everyone And A Few Questions

Decorating By Carsonsmommy03 Updated 8 Feb 2011 , 5:52pm by mayo2222

Carsonsmommy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carsonsmommy03 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone. Im a little new to fondant and thought i could find great advice and support here. Does anyone use Satin Ice and does it taste good? I was about to order some and got nervous. Also for the white, is vanilla or buttercream better?
Like I said, Im new and learning as i go so please be patient lol.
will i defiantely need gum paste?
i appreciate your help

10 replies
2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 11

I really like the flavor of satin ice vanilla. The product is easy to work with as well.
I have never tried the buttercream flavor.
What are you making that you need gum paste for?

Carsonsmommy03 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 11

Also can anyone recommend cake pans

Carsonsmommy03 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 11

lol dont know what Im making yet. my daughter and i have always baked cakes and cookies together and have decided to start trying fondant. i think she will love it. So I am placing an order to have everything on hand. I didnt know if we would need gum paste or not.

mimido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimido Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 11

I like the Magic line cake pans. They have straight sides. The square ones have nice sharp corners.

ryannrochelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ryannrochelle Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 11

I love Satin Ice. It smells good, it tastes good, it's easy to work with and I find that a lot of people that say they don't like fondant end up eating it. Unless you are making something that needs to dry incredibly hard or you are doing gumpaste flowers, you don't need gumpaste. Gumpaste is good for making embellishments that aren't going to be eaten. For pans, I have mostly Wilton pans but I have a few Fat Daddios pans and I honestly don't really notice any difference. Hope that helps you some. icon_smile.gif

Carsonsmommy03 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 11

thank you everyone. i was looking at the 2 lb containers of satin ice to start with but do you think that wouldnt be enough? i dont want to order too much but want enough to cover our first cake lol.
Also do you all make your own buttercream to cover the cake with?

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 11

I will second Magic Line for pans. Very good quality. There are a good number of people who also like Fat Daddio's pans as well. Just make sure you get pans that have straight sides and not slanted, i.e make sure the same pan sizes don't nest inside eachother.

I use Satin Ice, but only for Black, Red and recently Brown otherwise I make my own MMF. My wife isn't a huge fan of SI and says it has a chemical taste. The Brown tastes like a tootsie roll icon_smile.gif A lot of people have had good success making MFF, but I can't speak one way or the other.

HTH and Welcome to CC!!

Carsonsmommy03 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 11

Im ordering magic line pans now. just dont know whether to get 2inch or 3 inch

Carsonsmommy03 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 11

thanks Matt. so dont get the pans that nest inside each other? Im on the site to order now and they have a set with all size round pans but the pictures shows them nested. do i need to order individually instead? This is harder than i thought lol

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 5:52pm
post #11 of 11

As long as the same size doesn't nest, but if its a set and all different sizes then yes they will all naturally nest inside of each other. I can't say with absolute certainty, but pretty sure they don't have slanted sides so you should be okay.

I've heard people advocate for both 2 and 3 inch pans so probably a personal choice. I personally have 2 inch pans as I normally make standard 4 inch high cake tiers and don't have any really need for a 3 inch pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%