Good Enough? Question On Filling Cupcakes.

Baking By lolobell Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 4:29am by yortma

lolobell Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 17

Hi!

I'm making cupcakes this weekend and wanted to fill them with some whipped buttercream..

by reading through some of the forums, it appears theway i wanted to fill them won't produce much center filling (using a long tip designed for this purpose and just stick it in the center and fill)...

someone suggested taking an apple corer..like they do in cupcake wars...but my cupcakes always seem too fragile and i'm afraid by shoving an apple corer in the middle, the cupcake will just fall apart. has that happened to anyone?

I am wondering if the way I was going to do them is fine? the cupcakes will be fondant covered which is why i thought a filling would be nice....

thanks in advance for any suggestions!
PS: the recipes i am using are WASC cake and then cake doctors.."darn good chocolate cake" that has chocolate chips in it.

16 replies
kimmisue2009 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 17

I have found that as you are pulling the tip out, if you will kinda gently wiggle it around, you will get more filling. Just not too hard or you will blow out the sides!

jlh Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 17

I just saw a post about 4-5 hours ago that had a link to a tuturial (with pictures). Basicially, she cut a domed top out of the cupcake, pulled the lid off, filled it, then sawed off the lid, and replaced the flat part again to plug it back up. The part she cut our of the cupcake resembled a cone shaped (like a diamond for an engagement ring). She saws off the bottom of the cone to accommodate for the filling added. There was a picture of the final cupcake cut in half. It had a very nice amountof filling. I want to try that soon. I use the long nozzle tip, and too, never feel like there is enough filling. Good luck.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 17

You could do three holes with your long tip.

jlh Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 17

Has anyone tried the Cuisipo cupcake plunger?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CT43V8/?tag=cakecentral-20

Does it work?

The Cuisipro apple corer also looks like it would do the trick? Any luck with it?
http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-680629/?affsrcid=Aff0001&mr:referralID=81bbeffb-33a1-11e0-a86a-001b2166c2c0

AileenGP Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 17

I actually just use a 1M tip to fill, not the long skinny one because I agree that one doesn't give much filling. All the other methods seem too much work and unnecessary steps if the top is going to be covered in icing...

leily Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:58pm
post #7 of 17

i use the long tip for filling and get plenty of filling in the cupcakes. I put it in and then "swirl" the cupcake at about a 45 degree angle around the tip to help push the cake out of the way. Then squeeze and fill.

I made some this last saturday and got to see them eaten and there was PLENTY of filling in them doing it this way. There was only about 1/4" all the way around the filling, everyone said it was great to have the much filling and they really liked it.

KristyJ1976 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 17

I use the apple corer when filling cupcakes. I think I get enough filling in them.

leah_s Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 5:14pm
post #9 of 17

I use the long Bismark tip and all you have to do is wiggle/swirl/move the tip around a bit as you squeeze. Totally easy.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 5:35pm
post #10 of 17

I use a fat bubble tea straw (which I have around for dowelling tiered cakes) to remove a plug of cake from the centre, then fill using a no.12 tip. Nice amount of filling.

sillywabbitz Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 5:41pm
post #11 of 17

I know I'm pretty alone in this but I love my cupcake genius pan. I had bad luck with the tips because either my fillings are too thick or maybe I'm just tipped challenged but I couldn't get a consistent amount of filling in each cupcake. I bought this on a lark and love it.
http://www.keeponcaking.com/2010/10/cupcake-genius-pan-is-genius/

I am pretty sure it's an Avon product but you can google it to see where to buy it. I did buy the apple corers but I felt they smushed my cupcakes when I was trying to core them.

Lcubed82 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 6:03pm
post #12 of 17

I bought the red and white Cuisipro corer at Bed, Bath and Beyond the other day because it was cute (can you say too much snow gotcha down?) Haven't used it yet tho!

lolobell Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:52am
post #13 of 17

I appreciate all of the good advice.. As always, I can count on CC members for the answers to all my questions. I have learned SO much!!

Thanks everyone..
I think I will go with the long tip I have and swirl!! Since I have it already on hand and it sounds like it works well...I will go for it!

icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 4:04am
post #14 of 17

I find that my Bismark tip often clogs up with cake.

I recently filled cupcakes and I found that a #12 Wilton worked fine. I stuck it into the cupcake and when I could feel pressure on the bottom of the cupcake paper, I wiggle the tip to the surface. Quick & easy & plenty of filling for a regular cupcake.

Rae

lolobell Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 4:05am
post #15 of 17

thanks Blakescakes! icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 4:05am
post #16 of 17

I find that my Bismark tip often clogs up with cake.

I recently filled cupcakes and I found that a #12 Wilton worked fine. I stuck it into the cupcake and when I could feel pressure on the bottom of the cupcake paper, I wiggle the tip to the surface. Quick & easy & plenty of filling for a regular cupcake.

Rae

yortma Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 4:29am
post #17 of 17

I have the Cuisipro cupcake corer (found it at Sur Le Table) and I love it! It removes s perfect core, and the core pops right out in one piece, so it can be easily replaced after piping in the filling. previously I manually removed a cone with a paring knife and this is so much faster.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%