Clay Extruders

Decorating By Kread Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 4:01pm by metria

Kread Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 15

Hi! What's the best one for Fondant/gum paste? Any tricks I should know about? Thanks!

14 replies
zespri Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 15

The black and red one seems to be very popular, because it can be done with one hand. Although I have heard if they break down you're screwed because they have so many parts in them. There is a silver one on the market which looks a bit dodgy. I bought the green one which you must use two hands to use, because I read good things about it, and you can fit quite a bit more fondant inside it.

As for tricks, make a sausage out of your fondant smaller than the hole it's going into, and then rub a little bit of shortening over it, to make it come out easier.

lyndim Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 15

I have the green one, I forgot the name of it. I found it on ebay, works great, not that expensive.

mayo2222 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 15
Originally Posted by lyndim

I have the green one, I forgot the name of it. I found it on ebay, works great, not that expensive.

Thats the Makin which is the same one I have and it works great for me too. My advice is to make sure to lube it up with plenty of crisco - both the fondant and the extruder itself.

CupQuequito Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:01am
post #5 of 15

I've bought the red and black one, through Sharon's website. Still no problems, but I haven't used it much. So much better than a silver push thingamabobber.

Kread Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:59am
post #6 of 15

Great! Thanks for the info!

MadMillie Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:26am
post #7 of 15

You can also make one with a caulking gun and water piping.

Mimi209 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:42am
post #8 of 15
Originally Posted by MadMillie

You can also make one with a caulking gun and water piping.

MadMillie would you mind sharing how this is done. I have been trying to picture this in my mind and it's not working for me. What type of discs do you use to make the shapes?

EmilyJo9 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:50am
post #9 of 15

DON'T GET THE SILVER/METAL ONE!!! It is TERRIBLE!!! I bought it and it is hard to work with doesn't work well at all... very frustrating and not worth the stress...

MadMillie Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 11:57am
post #10 of 15

Here are 2 videos explaning how to make.

dchockeyguy Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 2:30pm
post #11 of 15

The best extruder I've found is by Artway. It's MUCH larger than all the other ones out there and really has a lot of pressure to it.

ddaigle Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 15

Love the MAKIN one from Hobby Lobby. I just work some crisco into my fondant and roll like a sausage and put in. I've never had to lube the barrell...I just use lots of crisco in the fondant itself.

brensmom12 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:04pm
post #13 of 15

Michaels has a clay extruder in the clay section (imagine that) that works great and not too expensive. Its has a black barrel and comes with many different dies. It hand crank (not a trigger).

sillywabbitz Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:05pm
post #14 of 15

I use the Makin as well. The local cake shop sells a giant one which would be great if you do big cakes.

metria Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 4:01pm
post #15 of 15

i've been using my Makin a lot past few days and found that i dislike that you have to have 2 hands to use it. i was extruding very long pieces to make borders and it's difficult to guide what's coming out when you're struggling to hold and twist the thingie. i haven't tried any other, but it's something to consider.

Quote by @%username% on %date%