Candy Liner For A Giant Cupcake....

Decorating By danni73 Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 9:50pm by bobwonderbuns

danni73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danni73 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 8:11am
post #1 of 12

What else can I use instead of candy melts to coat the bottom of the cupcake tin.??? The candy melts cost a fortune here.....

11 replies
princess_09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princess_09 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 12

I have seen them covered in fondant on the bottom. There is a giant cupcake cake recipe on the cupcake pebbles cereal box, and they used pretzel sticks all along the bottom. You could used Piroutte Cookies or candy straws as well. Hope that helps!

brensmom12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brensmom12 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 12

You could use almond bark in white and you could color it with candy color or just leave it white. Cheaper than candy melts.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 12

I don't understand what you mean danni, are you saying you want to use the giant cupcake tin, and have to line it with chocolate first? Why do you have to line it with chocolate?

btw, I live in NZ, and we have supermarkets here which sell to dairy's etc. I bought a massive bag of choc buttons for the same price as three little supermarket bags.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 12

http://ohsugarcakes.blogspot.com/2009/03/candy-liner-for-giant-cupcake.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scrumptiousbuns/sets/72157623620442294/

These are two that use candy coating "liners" for their giant cupcakes. Scrumptiousbuns had a tutorial posted by somebody on YouTube, and I couldn't find either the link to it OR the actual demo on YouTube (sorry!) But the technique is outlined in the first blog link.

zespri Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks for those links, very useful. I still don't understand why you'd do it though? It's not like you could cook the cake and put it inside the liner, it wouldn't fit.

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 12

No, you have to trim the cake to get it to fit into the candy liner. I think they do it for a cleaner look. I know when I started making the giant cupcake cakes my bases were seriously lacking!! I like the candy base look myself.

zespri Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:54pm
post #8 of 12

when you say 'seriously lacking', do you mean it's hard to get sharp edges with your icing?

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 12

Well that too, (my buttercream work pretty much sucks!) but I really like the cleaner lines of the candy liner and even fondant. When I did just buttercream, I didn't like the way it looked at all -- very unprofessional. I want a neat look to my cakes if I can get it (people translate that to "perfect" or "flawless" when it's actually just "neat.") You can work with the buttercream but overall I never did like the end result.

danni73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danni73 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 12

For my next giant cupcake I am going to do a pink candy liner..... I'm going to melt white choc buttons and add pink powder dye... icon_smile.gif

zespri Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:48pm
post #11 of 12

do you guys all use the tin for the top, or carve your own? I am starting to think that tin is too small, people are saying it feeds between 12 and 20 people.

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:50pm
post #12 of 12

I bake cakes in both the top and bottom cavity of the Wilton large cupcake pan. Before I do that I make the candy shell for the bottom. I've had it feed 18 people comfortably with some leftovers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%