Oven Fire - Fallen Cake - Great Day!

Decorating By CoveredInCake Updated 8 Feb 2011 , 6:48pm by Aurora_333

CoveredInCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoveredInCake Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 7:00am
post #1 of 4

So, yesterday my wife went to make her mother's birthday cake. I do the decorating and she does all the cooking/icings/ect... About 10 minutes into cooking we smelled something odd, opened the oven and WOW! The whole bottom of the oven is on fire.

Well, a few days ago we had a sheet pan spill over. She knew it needed to be cleaned out and honestly, she totally forgot about it. When she went to put in this cake she didn't even look down. So lesson learned. Always scrape out the oven if you have spillage before you use it again!! Duh. LOL

The cake wasn't done, it was totally black on the bottom of the pan. The cakes fell very shorty after she saved it from the fire. I had to use an extinguisher to put out the fire. First time ever doing that. So I learned a LOT yesterday. lol

After everything was cleaned up, the extreme amount of smoke was aired out we got back to work on a cake for my mother in law's birthday. This We made a ball pan into a ball of yarn (pic in my gallery). She was so surprised and she loved it. People complimented us on the cake and we had a great little celebration.

That's our disaster story, hopefully the last for a very long time! LOL!!

3 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 4

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you, but your cake turned out great in the end!

Here's something I learned recently. Line the floor of the oven with foil, making sure it does not touch the element (if you have electric). When there's is a spill, you can quickly pull to foil out. At my sister-in-law's this weekend the oven was smoking, and all we had to do was pull out that foil and no problems after that. She is the one that me this to me.

CoveredInCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoveredInCake Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 4

That's a great idea! Thank you!!

I freely admit that I"m useless in the kitchen unless is just decorating. lol I've never heard of that but we are going to try it. icon_biggrin.gif You may have just saved us from another disaster. icon_smile.gif

Aurora_333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora_333 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 4

I often put a cookie sheet under my cake pans. Just in case of spills. I'm betting that this won't happen to you again, but I am sorry it happened this time. At least the day was saved and you had a great party.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%