Talk About Leaving It To The Last Minute - Help!

Decorating By jessyummycakes Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 1:55pm by Lakelover

jessyummycakes Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 12:45am
post #1 of 10

My mother in law in turning 60 this weekend and having a last minute party! I want to do her cake as I really love her and it would be special thing just from me. I have already done the cakes and they are in the freezer. She loves shooping and I was thinking of something like below. But I am worried, I am a novice and all self taught, so i am concerned I couldnt pull it off. Any feedback/suggestions/tips to help and encourage me to pull off what seems like a daunting task to me??? Thanks everyone. icon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1783854
trying again! put the right link this time icon_confused.gif

9 replies
EmilyJo9 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 1:00am
post #2 of 10

You can totally do that! Look up a tutorial for the bow... there are great tutorials on CC and the zebra print is best free hand so you don't need anything special to do it... Good Luck!

DeezTreatz Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 1:01am
post #3 of 10

Hey! I'll try and give your some tips!
If u look at my zebra cake on my second page -
What i've done is rolled out my white fondant - (A little thicker then normal)
I then took black fondant pieces (all different lengths and sizes) and rolled the black fondant inbetween my hands to make long narrow pieces
- I placed the black striples ontop of my white fondant (that was already rolled out) and rolled it into the white fondant - making the zebra print look as one! icon_smile.gif so ez!
(or you can just cut strips of black and place it around your cake - either are very easy!)

For the pink cake on top - just bake a 5-6" cake - stick some dowels in the cake slab (Zebra cake) after the fondant is on - where the round one will be.. You can use your 5" round cake board to measure how far apart (the 5" round board will sit under your 5" cake)

jessyummycakes Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 1:08am
post #4 of 10

OOPPPS wrong link! that is my cake! Silly me, I really am blond!
Sorry Deeztreatz! you gave me such wonderful advice too

Trying again

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1783854

DeezTreatz Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 1:15am
post #5 of 10

I was wondering why it was in your cake photos! lol After I posted ... icon_sad.gif

lol

You can make a square cake or two ice them together sideways and stick em together!
You might need some dowels in there..
Tissue is thin fondant - ruffled a bit with hands...
Just put your fondant on like a regular cake I guess!

2508s42 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 1:39am
post #6 of 10

Make 3 9x13 cakes, cut them in thirds (level). Every third cake, dowel like a wedding cake. You will need a center rod through the middle. On the fondant, roll it to size for each section of the cake onto a cardboard cake board with lots of cornstarch so it doesn't stick. Freeze the fondant for 10 minutes or so, then stick it on the side of the cake using the cardboard to help you.

Hope this helps.

GI Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 10

Be sure to post a pix of your cake when its done! Can't wait to see what you've done!! icon_smile.gif

kristiemarie Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:16pm
post #8 of 10

Hey, the way I look at it is you'll never know if you don't try. And looking at your other cakes, I'd say there's a fair shot it will come out nicely. Even if you think it's flawed, I am positive others will think it's lovely! GO FOR IT!! WOOOO!!

jessyummycakes Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 4:49am
post #9 of 10

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1940033

Ok everyone, cake/s finished. I am pretty happy with the end result a few little issues which you can probably see for your selves! My mother in law absolutely loved it and that is the main thing.

Lakelover Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 1:55pm
post #10 of 10

Good job!! Dont you LOVE it when you complete a cake that you thought you coudn't do!!! Just like the Little Engine that could... I think I can I think I can I think I can.... WELL DONE!! Of course your MIL loved because it was made out of love not because someone paid you to make. I bet now though ppl will be paying you to make this cake!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%