Stringwork

Decorating By sccandwbfan Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 2:17pm by sccandwbfan

sccandwbfan Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 19

Hi,

When I took the Wilton classes, they said that string had to be done with stiff icing. Any advice for easier string work would be post appreciated. I have the marking tool so it's not the arches and stuff that I need help with just the consistency of the icing and such.

TIA

Christy

18 replies
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 19

Stiff icing???? icon_eek.gif No wonder you're having problems. Use THIN consistency for stringwork. I started out taking the Wilton classes like 100 years ago and that's how we were taught and nothing has changed since then. Oh, and DON'T try to "draw" the strings, put your hand from point A to point B and let the pressure drop the string for you. Otherwise you'll have "droopy boobs" syndrome and it looks terrible!! icon_rolleyes.gif

sccandwbfan Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 19

LOL, okay thank you. icon_smile.gif

ConfectionsCC Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Otherwise you'll have "droopy boobs" syndrome and it looks terrible!! icon_rolleyes.gif

LOL "droopy boobs" never heard of that one, thanks for the laugh haha!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 19

icon_redface.gif Seriously, that's what they look like!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

ConfectionsCC Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 19

hahah it totally is! i just never thought of that one icon_wink.gif im going to use it if you dont mind hahahhaha

Loucinda Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 19

You may want to try that out...thin icing for me breaks too easy. I do use the medium to stiff, with a little piping gel added for elasticity.

Unlimited Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:

Stiff icing???? icon_eek.gif No wonder you're having problems. Use THIN consistency for stringwork. I started out taking the Wilton classes like 100 years ago and that's how we were taught and nothing has changed since then. Oh, and DON'T try to "draw" the strings, put your hand from point A to point B and let the pressure drop the string for you. Otherwise you'll have "droopy boobs" syndrome and it looks terrible!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Agree totally! If it's too stiff, dry, and not creamy enough it will break and it will be hard to squeeze from your pastry bag easily with the right amount of control. It will also break if it's too airy. More liquid or a bit of piping gel will help with both. I like a medium consistencynot too thin or watery, but thick enough that it doesn't flow from the bag before you're ready!

VentureSister Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 10:37pm
post #9 of 19

Adding a bit of Karo syrup helps out also.

2508s42 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 1:58am
post #10 of 19

A drop of vinegar helps too.

HamSquad Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:29am
post #11 of 19
Quote:

OMG, Tooooo funny, I know the look, I never would have thought of that, but it is too true. Old Wilton person here, learn to use medium to thin icing to pipe stringwork with a little corn syrup for elasticity. Boy I needed that laugh - thumbs_up.gif

sweetcakes Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:30am
post #12 of 19

the other thing i would add is not too much icing in the bag, also paddle it against the side of the bowl before you load the bag so it is good and smooth, no airpockets as this is what will cause the string to break. check your icing consistency by dropping a loop on your finger to see if it breaks or stretches before youwork on your cake.

sccandwbfan Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:50pm
post #13 of 19

All great ideas everyone. Thank you. icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Toof Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:34am
post #14 of 19

the royal icing SHOULD be fairly thick - not runny. When you make it, be sure that you can put a heap on your spatula and it should hang, not fall off the spatula.
Check out my photos, I made many many batches to make this cake!! .... http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1620586

Loucinda Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 4:20am
post #15 of 19

BEAUTIFUL sweet-toof!! Yes, that is how I was taught too! (Kim Morrison!) thumbs_up.gif

sccandwbfan Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 5:53pm
post #16 of 19

Ditto Sweet_toof, that cake is beyond beautiful. icon_smile.gif

sccandwbfan Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 5:54pm
post #17 of 19

Another question regarding stringwork:

Do you use buttercream or royal icing?

Thanks.

Christy

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:20pm
post #18 of 19

It depends on what you're doing. When I do Oriental Stringwork, I need to use royal icing. When I'm doing loopy strings on a cake, I use buttercream.

sccandwbfan Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:17pm
post #19 of 19

Thanks again. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%