How Much Do People Think A Cake Costs To Make???

Business By TPACakeGirl Updated 23 Jun 2016 , 1:30pm by indydebi

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 11:32pm
post #301 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

I don't think the overall tone of that thread is different, aside from the comments of one user who is not participating in this thread. And therein lies the difference.

Did that thread get deleted? I can't find it now. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it did! icon_confused.gif

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 11:47pm
post #302 of 434

AUnfortunately it appears to be gone.

SystemMod2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod2 Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 12:20am
post #303 of 434

Yes, it did get deleted. You did a good job of warning the offending poster, but to no avail.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 4:06am
post #304 of 434

A

Original message sent by Norasmom

That's so interesting.  A friend of mine is a photographer, disses the "mall places"  and her sitting fee for 20 mins is $150.  She told me that $150 was too much for a Dr. Seuss Cake to feed 50 people!!!    I was SO angry.  How can one artist not understand another in terms of pricing?  I did politely say okay to her though, and to have her consider me some other time.  I know I cannot afford her photos, so I don't even ask.  I have a budget that says "mall photography place," and that's where I go.  I'm realistic about talent and creativity too.

My reply would have been that some people would say that $150 for 20 mins with a photographer is too much too, but luckily for both of you there are people out there who appreciate quality.

Lucky6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lucky6 Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 4:39am
post #305 of 434

A[quote name="AZCouture" url="/t/708946/how-much-do-people-think-a-cake-costs-to-make/300#post_7406514"]Unfortunately it appears to be gone.

I'm glad is gone

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 7:24am
post #306 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Unfortunately it appears to be gone.

I'm glad is gone

No, it had really good information in it. It got spoiled by a few things, but the information was good.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 11:14am
post #307 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

My reply would have been that some people would say that $150 for 20 mins with a photographer is too much too, but luckily for both of you there are people out there who appreciate quality.

thumbs_up.gif  Keeping that in my arsenal of responses!!! I wish I could have thought of that when I emailed her.  

newbe86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbe86 Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 1:54pm
post #308 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettyboo64 

Spent days making fondant hocky pieces, you know school jersey, pucks, sticks, blades etc, 3 D graduation cap as well in school colors. Then baked a cake for 125 people, cake looked awesome, I dropped it off to the party place, co-worker was no where to be found her husband was though, his reply nice cake thanks. LoL. Monday co-worker comes to work pokes her head into my office says, great cake, thanks um we didn't use it we had ice cream cake instead! I thought how strange, and for the record the cost of this cake ZERO dollars because it appears my co-worker thought I had plenty of time on my hands, and I love her son as much as she does. ( I don't know him) so I shouldn't need to be paid. Although we had agreed on a very reasonable price. Never again lesson learned the hard way. icon_wink.gif.

WOW! I was unaware that if I didn't eat/use something I didn't have to pay for it. I think I'll try that next time I don't eat my whole meal from some fast-food joint. I'll just tell them I'll pay for what I eat... Yea, that will go over really well.

Sorry that happened to you.

newbe86 Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 2:04pm
post #309 of 434

I do have a question for the bakers who are in business for themselves...  What is your stand on "hobby" bakers selling their work and are not undercutting your prices or down-right screwing you by selling cakes for half of what you would sell them?  My goal is to eventually sell cakes, this is a long-term goal. Chances are I will be baking out of my house, before I sell anything I will have a license and all that is required, but to me, I would still be a "hobby baker" because my main source of income will not be from cakes.  What I am really looking for is answers because when/if this dream comes true, I do not want to upset the local bakers in my area.  While this is a long-term dream for me, I have done quite a bit of research with regards to local pricing, etc. But I really do not want to be "that baker" who bakes for less than what she is worth AND screws the local businesses. I want to have fun and have a small client base.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 2:15pm
post #310 of 434

As long as you are licensed and inspected and aware of not undercutting, and of placing a value on your work.

There is no cottage food law in my area, so I turn in every illegal baker I come across - and there are many! I don't go out trolling for illegals, but if I do stumble across them I shoot off an e-mail to my contact at the health department.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 2:21pm
post #311 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbe86 

I do have a question for the bakers who are in business for themselves...  What is your stand on "hobby" bakers selling their work and are not undercutting your prices or down-right screwing you by selling cakes for half of what you would sell them?  My goal is to eventually sell cakes, this is a long-term goal. Chances are I will be baking out of my house, before I sell anything I will have a license and all that is required, but to me, I would still be a "hobby baker" because my main source of income will not be from cakes.  What I am really looking for is answers because when/if this dream comes true, I do not want to upset the local bakers in my area.  While this is a long-term dream for me, I have done quite a bit of research with regards to local pricing, etc. But I really do not want to be "that baker" who bakes for less than what she is worth AND screws the local businesses. I want to have fun and have a small client base.

Opinions? Suggestions?

I think you're confusing the hobby vs. business issue a little. If you're licensed and all that's required to be a business then you're a business if you're selling cakes. If you do it part-time or full-time, it's still a business, you're not a hobby baker. There's another thread where we're "discussing" undercutting vs. underpricing, which would be when you're pricing too low because you don't know any better. If you know what cakes are going for in your area and you're deliberately charging less for some reason then you're undercutting, and that will piss people off. If you want to structure a business as a part-time thing with a small client base that's perfectly fine, but it doesn't mean that you need to charge less than what you would if you were doing it full-time. You should start looking at it as a part-time job, not a hobby, and it will make more sense to charge what you should be charging.

newbe86 Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 2:32pm
post #312 of 434

Thank you.  I guess I consider myself a hobby baker because it's not full time and it's not meant to pay my bills. I would never under-cut the bakers who are in the business to make money. I value my time too much to under-price and I value other's talent and time too much to under-cut. As of right now, I just bake for close friends and family, having them pay for the supplies but they know that I plan to eventually have a small business. I'm just trying to make sure I do as much research as I can so I am educated when I finally get to that point.

costumeczar Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 3:15pm
post #313 of 434
Quote:

Thank you.  I guess I consider myself a hobby baker because it's not full time and it's not meant to pay my bills. I would never under-cut the bakers who are in the business to make money. I value my time too much to under-price and I value other's talent and time too much to under-cut. As of right now, I just bake for close friends and family, having them pay for the supplies but they know that I plan to eventually have a small business. I'm just trying to make sure I do as much research as I can so I am educated when I finally get to that point.

Just start thinking of it as a part-time job and not a hobby. Lots of people work for extra money that isn't intended to pay bills, but just for extras. It doesn't mean that your work is worth less if it isn't meant to pay bills!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 3:29pm
post #314 of 434

AIf anything, a casual part-time cake business would need to charge more since there are less orders to allocate fixed overhead to (insurance, accounting costs, etc.).

costumeczar Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 4:04pm
post #315 of 434
Quote:

If anything, a casual part-time cake business would need to charge more since there are less orders to allocate fixed overhead to (insurance, accounting costs, etc.).

Not necessarily, if she's not looking at it as something to bring in a lot of income.

newbe86 Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 9:02pm
post #316 of 434

Will someone please explain to me the reasoning behind charging significantly more for a wedding cake than a specialty cake?  I was doing some research and found a bakery whose wedding cakes clearly state they are $50.00 more than a specialty cake.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 9:07pm
post #317 of 434

A

Original message sent by newbe86

Will someone please explain to me the reasoning behind charging significantly more for a wedding cake than a specialty cake?  I was doing some research and found a bakery whose wedding cakes clearly state they are $50.00 more than a specialty cake.

There is no logical reasoning for charging more just because a cake is for a wedding, unless there is a difference in size or complexity.

costumeczar Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 10:36pm
post #318 of 434
Quote:

I don't, but some people charge more becasue weddings generally involve a tasting appointment, more emails and phone calls from brides, etc, so it's a time thing.

Deb2013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb2013 Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 12:05am
post #319 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPACakeGirl 

Before I quote a price, I now put everything through my Cake Boss software, and it spits out a price for me. I love it. The only problem is, that since I've started charging more, I've had several people decide not to book with me. There have been 2 in the last month. Both were 3 tier cakes requiring gumpaste figurings and lots of work. I quoted one at $125 and the other was $175. Both people told me my prices were ridiculous, and that they find it hard to believe a cake can cost that much to make.

Tell them to try and make it themselves - they'll soon think your $125 is a steal. Having made my first 6 layer decorated cake recently, I will never again think any beautifully decorated cake isn't worth whatever the creator is charging!

I say don't sell yourself short. If someone thinks $125 is too much, let them buy a lesser cake and later, wish they had called you.

As an artist/designer, myself and others who create are always struggling with the price of our art. Those who aren't creative, love what we do and wish to purchase, frequently think it's too pricey. In reality, we rarely charge what we should in order to close a sale, but just breaking even is a tough way to sustain a career. Finding the balance between what works for you as well as the client is sometimes a tightrope act!  (I just read where Chelsea Clinton's wedding cake cost around $11K, and Eva Longoria's cost $40k - which puts things totally out of proportion!)

samash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samash Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 2:25am
post #320 of 434

A

Original message sent by SugaredSaffron

If the tiers are 1"-2" then fine whatever, but I can't believe that anyone is thick enough to price a 3 tier for $50/£30.

I think this comment is a bit harsh. Just because someone has not worked out their pricing correctly, doesn't make them thick. People come on here for advice and support, not to be demeaned.:-(

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 3:17am
post #321 of 434

I know many decorators struggle with pricing issues and often find that, once a job is completed, they have significantly underpriced themselves.  I also know that most people don't have a clue as to the amount of time, labor and materials go into making the cake, not to mention the time it took them to develop the skills to be able to make it.  To that end, I am many years past struggling to get cake jobs....I turn several down weekly....sometimes because I am already booked, sometime because I just am not interested in making it....but, regardless, my price is my price...take it or leave it!  I don't negotiate price!

Pyro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyro Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 3:33am
post #322 of 434
Quote:

There is no logical reasoning for charging more just because a cake is for a wedding, unless there is a difference in size or complexity.

You don't see one ?

costumeczar Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 10:38am
post #323 of 434

A

Original message sent by Jeff_Arnett

I know many decorators struggle with pricing issues and often find that, once a job is completed, they have significantly underpriced themselves.  I also know that most people don't have a clue as to the amount of time, labor and materials go into making the cake, not to mention the time it took them to develop the skills to be able to make it.  To that end, I am many years past struggling to get cake jobs....I turn several down weekly....sometimes because I am already booked, sometime because I just am not interested in making it....but, regardless, my price is my price...take it or leave it!  I don't negotiate price!

I am so with you on this...there are plenty of people entering the market here every day because of the cottage food law, and they're a lot cheaper than i am but so what? I'm too old and have been doing this for too long to work for minimum wage.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 10:59am
post #324 of 434

AI think you meant to write UNDER minimum wage.

costumeczar Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 12:45pm
post #325 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot 

I think you meant to write UNDER minimum wage.

either one sucks and is probably what a lot of people are making, so yeah!

JennaGee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaGee Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 8:38pm
post #326 of 434

I pray to God I never get a Kangaroo cake request.... icon_confused.gif

Pyro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyro Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 2:50am
post #327 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaGee 

I pray to God I never get a Kangaroo cake request.... icon_confused.gif

It could be this amazing !  http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_vilYKjI89rM/Skzk86HHS2I/AAAAAAAABPI/6cfNBYX1jqQ/s1600/kangaroo.jpg

JennaGee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaGee Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 3:00am
post #328 of 434

AOh my goodness im laughing so hard! That made my night!:D

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 11:42am
post #330 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmomof1 

I really think it would be great if the "Cake shows" would actually list the prices of their work much like they do on Fabulous Cakes. People are getting their ideas from the things these shows are putting out. They are totally unaware of the amount of work that goes into creating a character or animal or building. If you want true art then you have to pay for it. If it doesn't matter whether you have "true art" then go buy the cracker jacks because you get exactly what you pay for, cracker jacks.

Yes, I would LOVE it if they did that AND put the amount of hours that it took to complete it.   When I get a request for a sculpted cake (mine start at $250 for something on the more simple side) and I quote a price, people immediately back away and opt for a traditional cake.  I tell them I completely understand, that they take a whole new set of skills and time than traditional cakes, and that Duff's minimum order (at the time) was $1000.  Then they say "OH...I didn't realize..."  Educate them!

I'm certainly not Ace of Cakes, but I can pull off some pretty cool shizz, and just because I'm not famous doesn't mean I work for a waiter's hourly wage.

Or just because I do this out of my house doesn't mean I don't have overhead...maybe a little less, but my time and talent are still worth it.

People cringe at the prices because it's edible and will disappear.  It's not a painting or sculpture that will last, so it should be cheap, right!?!  HAHAHAHA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%