Customer Followup-Don't Want To Nag....long

Business By KakesbyKris Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 3:04pm by KakesbyKris

KakesbyKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesbyKris Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 8

I started the year hoping to break into wedding cakes. I now have 3 brides interested. Yeah! On their own each are fine, but together are a headache.

My first bride whose wedding is the closest, April 29, can't decide on what she wants. We have gone from a tiered cake to cupcake tower to cake pops. I have the policy that all design changes must be finalized 15 business days before the event. Same time final payment is due. I'm worried it's not changes that will be a problem, but just having a beginning design. I know there is still time and I am trying to be patient and answer all her questions whenever she thinks of something new to do, but I would love an idea of what I am working with. Cake, cupcakes, twinkies for heaven's sake. ( I wouldn't do twinkies1 I am just saying...) Is there some way to guide her into picking something?

Bride 2-June bride. Got information from me, prices, policies, pictures, and then nothing more. The thing with this gal is we know some of the same people, namely my MIL. She tells others that I am doing her wedding, talks about what she she wants her cake to look like, and recommends me to others. She just hasn't said any of this to me! I guess I am suppose to use the force and know all this for myself!
icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Bride 3-July 9th. She lives 2 1/2 hours away (also where wedding will be). Same thing, sent all info including delivery!!!! She wants to do a tasting. It turns out I will be in her area this weekend on Fri. late afternoon and Sunday. Said I would be willing to meet with her. Friday didn't work as they would be actually passing through my town at that time to pick up her fiancee's kids. We discussed meeting Sunday between when they get out of church and take the kids back. Nothing pinned down. I was able to figure out a way to move my meetings Friday to Saturday morning and thought this would work better for all to meet late morning. Tuesday 2/1 I sent her an email(all contact has been through email, She hasn't given me any other info although she has all of mine) asking if Saturday would work. Haven't heard a thing back. Email after email back and forth with prompt responses and now, nothing! Should I try contacting her again?

I have read different threads about not chasing down a customer whose info gathering. I just thought I was past that point with 2 of the 3 brides so I am not sure what to do without being a pain. Any advice is appreciated! thumbs_up.gif

7 replies
lissacarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissacarol Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 8

If they haven't paid a deposit I wouldn't consider it a "done deal". For those not committed you might contact them telling them that you will hold their date and if another bride calls wanting that date you will contact them to see if they still want you. A last chance notice, if you will. Good luck!

KakesbyKris Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for replying lissacarol.

I have a deposit from bride 1, just wish she would pick something so we can get more specific on design. I don't want to push her into anything. I think it's my own hang-up, OCD, wanting to have it planned out.

Bride 2 is just an annoyance that she is talking to others and not me.

Bride 3 is where I really am not sure if I should do something more. I sent the last correspondance and the tasting is 'suppose' to be this weekend. OCD, planning again!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 1:52am
post #4 of 8

Bride 1: if you already have the deposit then leave her alone until 30 days before the wedding. Then call or email and remind her that there are only 15 days left for her to decide on her design.

Bride 2: until she speaks directly to you then whatever she says to others doesn't count. You can send her a reminder email that she is not officially booked with you until she pays her non-refundable deposit. Then it's up to her to either put up or shut up.

Bride 3: CALL her and tell you are available either Sat at X time or Sun at x time (or whatever works for your schedule). Tell her you need to know by this WED at the latest if either of those times will work for her or unfortunately you will not be able conduct the consultation with her as you will be scheduling other events.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:32am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Bride 1: if you already have the deposit then leave her alone until 30 days before the wedding. Then call or email and remind her that there are only 15 days left for her to decide on her design.

Agree. "Dear Bride: Sounds like you are in the Information Overload stage. Rest assured that you have plenty of time to select the design of your cake. Take your time, look at lots of photos, narrow down what appeals to you, and then lets get together in Mid-March to lock down the design we'll create for your very special event!"

Quote:
Quote:

Bride 2: until she speaks directly to you then whatever she says to others doesn't count. You can send her a reminder email that she is not officially booked with you until she pays her non-refundable deposit. Then it's up to her to either put up or shut up.

"Dear Bride: Just a reminder that I do not show you booked on my calendar. When you are ready to book your event, give me a call so we can get your deposit on the books and your baking time on the calendar! Talk to you later!"

Quote:
Quote:

Bride 3: CALL her and tell you are available either Sat at X time or Sun at x time (or whatever works for your schedule). Tell her you need to know by this WED at the latest if either of those times will work for her or unfortunately you will not be able conduct the consultation with her as you will be scheduling other events.

Totally agree. This shows you are a serious business and not a mom trying to schedule a play date. thumbs_up.gif

KakesbyKris Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:25am
post #6 of 8

Thanks Ladies!

I had to email Bride 3. Even though I have asked for more contact info from her all I have is email. I got a response within minutes...
"Yes! I will email more later." sent from her phone.

We'll see what happens.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 8

Kris, Don't diss the Twinkie cake.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1239120

KakesbyKris Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:04pm
post #8 of 8

Ok leah_s, that cake definitely made me smile. That must have been an interesting order and couple!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%