How Much To Charge????

Decorating By lil_ol_me Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 5:17pm by lil_ol_me

lil_ol_me Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 7

So I have been asked to make a wedding cake. (Hopefully it attached) and I am having a hard time thinking about what to charge for this.

Serve 130 people
Deliver and set up 3 hours away
Basic Flavor and filling
She wants the Bride/Groom to be more personalized and look more like them. I am thinking of just buying Figurines (sp) and personalizing them so they can save them forever.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

Thanks,
Crystal[/img]

6 replies
leily Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 7

check out this thread on how to price a cake.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-694973-.html

lil_ol_me Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks Leily- That helped out. I have just been low balling people so that I could get the experience but now I think I am ready to actually start getting paid for these icon_smile.gif

kcassano Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 7

i low-balled initally too so I could get experience - and get more orders via word of mouth. But, I have recently come to the realization that my time is worth more than what I was charging, and if someone cannot afford that then I just isnt worth it to me. Because the time I spend on a cake (and we all know they take lots of time), is time that I am not spending with my family, on myself, or whatever. Make it worth your while, otherwise, you will be bitter after all your hard work. and that is never fun....and it should be fun.

Also, re: figurines to look like the bride and groom. I know of someone who does that specifically-and they are as fantastic as she is to work with! She makes them out of polymer clay which the bride/groom can then save as a keepsake. If you are interested, PM me. I cant do people to save my life icon_smile.gif

BrindysBackyard Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 7

don't forget to add a delivery charge. I would charge $100+ for the 3 hour drive. Remember you have to drive 3 hours back for a total of 6 hours + gass $$

TexasSugar Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 7

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-646805-town.html+delivery+charge

Here are two replies I got about pricing an out of town delivery. icon_smile.gif

lil_ol_me Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you everyone. That helps a lot icon_smile.gif I know that this is a special time for her and I have known her my whole life but I don't want to get "robbed" on the cost either icon_smile.gif

kcassano- You are so correct- My time is worth the money and if they don't want to pay for it then I don't want to do the cake icon_smile.gif Let me see what the girl would like to do and also if I can get some pictures of both of them and I will PM you and see what that lady would charge for the Figures icon_smile.gif

Thank You all so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%