What To Do About The No Shows???

Decorating By cakelady2266 Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 7:15pm by amygortoncakes

cakelady2266 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 6

Be warned this is a vent. I had 3 wedding consultation/tastings scheduled for this morning one at 8:15, one at 10:00 and one at 12:00. It's 10:45 and the first two were no shows, no call, no email, no text. I confirmed these meetings, so what the heck is the deal with folks?

I'm sure most of yall are like me and Friday, Saturday and Sundays are your busiest days. I put in 40 plus hours between 7 am on Friday until when ever on Sunday most of the time without going to bed. So when Monday rolls around it's like the weekend for me. But in order to keep having work I have to meet with clients when our schedules can get together.

I could have spent this morning doing laundry, ironing, mopping, or any number of other household task I hate OR I could have sat on my ever widening butt eating bon bons and watching t.v..

I realize things come up that keep people from getting here. But this is a freaking epidemic, making appointments requesting samples and then not showing. This has not been a real problem until lately.

How do you handle no shows? Is there a way to weed these fakers out and keep them from wasting your time? Or does this simply have to be tolerated?

5 replies
DebBTX Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 6

Do you charge for your tastings?

-Debbie B.

buttercuppie Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 6

I was just going to ask the same thing...if you do...tell your clients that you require a credit card to secure their appointment...after the tasting they can pay in cash or use the card on file.

BUT when you're confirming the appointment tell them that if they need to cancel or reschedule 24 hours notice is required. If they cancel after that/don't show, you'll charge their card.

(if it's an emergency it's your call but this will cover you for no shows)

cakelady2266 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 6

No I don't charge. I offer a choice of whats on hand in basic flavors, vanilla, butter chocolate, etc....If they want an additional flavor (apple, carrot etc..) they can purchase a full size cake.

I don't get the point in email and calls discussing cake and get the meeting set up and then just not show. I tell the client the cake prices up front so there are no surprises, price per serving x the number of servings.

buttercuppie Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 6

I see...

...this type of thing is what aggrevates me about people...you make a connection (albeit small) and go over all this information and then they just leaving you flapping out there in the wind without so much as a quick text saying I can't make it...

...people take advantage b/c it's FREE...if they had to pay it'd be another story.

If they call back and try to reschedule...CHARGE THEM!!!

amygortoncakes Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 6

I say if the two people flaked contacted you and wanted to reschedule to just run for the hills. This is a huge indicator of problems to come.

I would start charging for missed appointments. Have them put a down payment down and if they show up, they get it back.

Sorry this happened. It's really shocking how flakey people are, and how they assume they are the only ones with a life.

Quote by @%username% on %date%