Buttercream Question

Decorating By KakesByKelley Updated 8 Feb 2011 , 11:01pm by Babyprincess

KakesByKelley Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 8

Awhile ago I made a cake using whipped cream frosting and fondant roses. The fondant and the frosting reacted and there was a weird yellow yuckiness. I was told it was because of the dairy in the frosting. I want to frost a cake in Italian buttercream, which has dairy, but still cover the cake in fondant. Is there any way to do this, or is there another frosting recipe I can use. I can't stand the taste or texture of fondant but the look is beautiful, so I want to have some frosting too.
If anyone has any suggestions or tips I would really appreciate it.

7 replies
Kellbella Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 8

I use SMBC under fondant and have had no problems with it. As for the yellow color...was the fondant yellow??? I'm not sure what exactly your talking about and what recipe did you use? A dairy based BC shouldn't effect the fondant icon_confused.gif so not sure what exactly happened.

LisaPeps Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 8

Imbc under fondant works excellently so long as you chill it before hand. Make sure the buttercream is really solid on the cake before you cover with fondant.

KakesByKelley Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 3:59am
post #4 of 8

It looked like a yellow juicy sudstance was leaking out from the fondant. I heard in one place that it might not have been the dairy, but just that whipped cream frosting is too moist and just started melting to fondant. Thanks for advice, though.

tonedna Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:31am
post #5 of 8

Maybe the whipped icing you used was not stabalized and the melt down came from the whipped
cream not the fondant.
Edna

scp1127 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:54am
post #6 of 8

I agree with Edna. Whipped cream breaks down. I only use it (stabilized)when the cake will be eaten within a few hours and I don't put it on the cake until right before it is served. I have stabilized it with piping gel and just a few days ago someone posted how to stabilize whipped cream with sour cream, which sounds very interesting. I personally do not like stabilizing with gelatin.

KakesByKelley Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 8:03pm
post #7 of 8

So, it would be okay to use the IMBC? Cause that's what I want to use.

Babyprincess Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:01pm
post #8 of 8

Hi.

Does someone know buttercream frosting? I would like to make a cake with roses using a different frosting, since other frosting would not let me do the roses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%