I Would *love* To Get Better At Making Gp Flowers, But...

Decorating By Sassy74 Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 11:21pm by Sassy74

Sassy74 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 8

...it's such a pain when you don't have a dedicated space to work in. My GP flowers are horrible, which aggravates me...I wanna get better!!! Having to unload 100 tools/veiners/brushes/wires/cutters etc every time I want to work on them is totally turning me off. Which reeks, because GP flowers fascinate me, and I'd love to become proficident with them.

At this point, my caking tools are stored at several points all over the house lol . So, when I want to get to work, I have to locate them, assemble them at the breakfast table (my workspace, ha!), and clean up the mess and replace everything when I'm done.

Yeah, I'm whining. I'd just love to have a caking room, even a tiny one, where I could store everything, work from start to finish, and not have to worry about mapping out where I have everything stored for the moment.

I think I need to take some tips from those among you who are waaaaay more organized than me!

7 replies
TexasSugar Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 8

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=51260&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

In this post on page two, sillywabbitz posted a scrapbooking desk that's she's been using for caking stuff. I don't know if you have room for something like it in your house, but it could be an idea to help get things all in one place, and to give you a place to work.

Even though I have a cake room, that's currently being turned into more of an all purpose area, I don't have a table in there. So I can understand the pain of having to move things to work on them then put them back. I also have a cat, so when I have things that need to dry over night I have to close them up in the room to make sure he doesn't get curious.

PattyT Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 8

A while back, I found some SnapWare containers half-price after the holidays. You can mix and match the sections as tall or as short as you like. One group has all my gumpaste and fondant tools, and another has flower cutters, veiners, wire etc. When I need to work on something, I grab my silicone mat and my little boxes and set up on my kitchen counter.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LQEFJK/?tag=cakecentral-20
http://www.snapware.com/household.html

genevieveyum Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 8

Keep in mind that you can make really beautiful gp roses with only two tools: rolling pin & ball tool (& circle cutter, but this can be a shot glass).
http://sweetindulgencescakes.com/?p=362
http://www.idealchef.com/recipe/how-to-make-gum-paste-rose.html -this is a great tutorial but you don't even need the sponge, you can just use your palm and the lines in your hand end up giving the petals a texture like a veining tool.

PinkLisa Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 8

I keep all my gumpaste flower tools in one scrapbook case. I grab that and the gumpaste and I'm ready to work.

TexasSugar Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 8

Patty, I have some of those Snap N Stack containers in one of my Wilton tool boxes for class. They really are nice.

Sassy, another idea if you don't have a place for a big piece of furniture to help contain things, is to get one of the plastic rolling carts with drawers. You can put like tool/cutters and such together in the different drawers. They can easily be pushed aside out of the way, so you can free up your work space, but still have everything kept together. They also come in different sized drawers.

mindy1204 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 8

I have an awesome table from IKea search for Gateleg table. It was 6 drawers and when folded completely it is about 8 inches. I also use it to roll fondant and LOVE it!

Sassy74 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 11:21pm
post #8 of 8

TexasSugar, that's what I bought! I brought home one of those and just loaded it up. I think it will help a lot. The problem is that I was using our formal dining room to store all of my caking supplies, and darn if we didn't go and put a dining table/chairs in it!!! So, I had to quickly relocate my gajillion supplies to all parts of the house.

I looked at sillywabbitz' desk and it looks awesome, but I don't know where I'd put something like that. You'd think that with four bedrooms, 2800 sq ft, and only four ppl living in this house, I'd have plenty of room...but, you'd think wrong. The fourth bedroom is a playroom/rec room/homeschool room, and I just can't spare the room in there right now. Sigh.

Mindy, I looked up your table and it looks IDEAL! I bet I could put casters/wheels on the bottom to make it portable. Didn't see those in the pic.

I just need to brainstorm and plan this out. The ultimate goal is to be able to make GP flowers better, which sounds so simple...but I really do suck lol . All this for some little flowers that I could order on-line anyway!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%