Help With Some Ideas To Add To Servings Without Adding Tiers

Decorating By heater79 Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 3:23pm by leily

heater79 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone!!!
I need a bit of help with adding some servings to a wedding cake without adding more tiers.
My customer wants a 3 tier heart shape cake, but she is serving around 150 servings. I work from home so it's hard to go any bigger than a 12-14 inch tier for the base. And I dont have access to a commercial kitchen. I am also worried that with 12, 10 and 8 inch tiers, that it may not look tall or grand.....If I go with those sizes should I go 6 inches tall on each tier to make it look bigger?
(I know that between 3 and 6 inches high will give same number of servings)
And is there anything I should worry about if I go that high???

I am also looking for ideas that will bump up the number of servings without bumping up the number of tiers. I know about cupcakes and satellite cakes, maybe even a sheet cake, is there any other ideas out there??
Thanks so much!

7 replies
cylstrial Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 8

I'd just add some extra height to the cake, like you were saying.

sillywabbitz Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 8

If you make the tiers taller you may want to double the height (8 inch tier) with cake boards between. Doing a 6 inch tier can be a problem because dessert players are generally only big enough for a 4 inch slice. I love the look of double barrel (double height) cakes but I have not seen it done with a heart shaped cake. But I bet it would work. My vote for grand is the double height middle tier. For just extra servings I would do cupcakes, especially if kids will be attending the wedding.

heater79 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 8

If I go with 6 inch high tiers, that will give me a tall grand look, but how stable will it be compared to a 3 or 4 inch high tier? Is there anything I should take into consideration with going 6 inches high??

I am still stuck on other ideas to bump up servings without more tiers.......
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

leily Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 8

you could make each tier 6"-8" tall and put a cake board in the middle. then you really have two cakes (the same size) stacked on top of eachother. This will give you double the servings (since you have a cake board between and can easily cut and serve each tier) and give you the additional height you want too.
Making each tier 6"-8" with the board between will give you jsut over 150 servings.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 8

If you want the cake to look larger, maybe you can get a dummy tier for the bottoms tier. 

Or you could use a smaller dummy as a separator in between the top and middle tiers. You can wrap it with a pretty ribbon so you don't have to decorate it to cut down on your work time.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1917528

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1455931

For extra servings, maybe you could make a kitchen cake.

Here is an interesting one where they separated the tiers and added some cupcakes.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1440590

The pros here will have better ideas for you.

heater79 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 8

icon_biggrin.gif WOW Thanks everyone!!!
Lieily
I really like the idea of having 2 cakes for 1 tier....... Will that work if its covered in fondant?? With the cake board in the middle covered in bc and fondant will that pose a problem when disassembling it?

Secretagent
What's a kitchen cake???? icon_redface.gif LOL
Thanks Again everyone!!!

leily Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by heater79

icon_biggrin.gif WOW Thanks everyone!!!
Lieily
I really like the idea of having 2 cakes for 1 tier....... Will that work if its covered in fondant?? With the cake board in the middle covered in bc and fondant will that pose a problem when disassembling it?

Secretagent
What's a kitchen cake???? icon_redface.gif LOL
Thanks Again everyone!!!

Having a cake board in the middle is just like having a smaller cake stacked on a larger cake, they're just the same size. If you'r worried about the buttercream sticking to the board you can always put a piece of wax paper inbetween... but i use the SPS system and there are no concerns with it sittingon the lower tier iced in buttercream (or fondant)

kitchen cakes are an additional cake that is not presented on the table with the wedding cake but kept in the kitchen for serving. It is made the same as the wedding cake (so it's not a 2" tall sheet cake) it would be 3" or 4" tall, whatever your tier size is, so that when cut it looks like it was part of the wedding cake. They usually aren't decorated, but the inside will have the same numbe rof layers and fillings as the wedding cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%