Crumbly, Falling Apart Cake - Please Help

Baking By jlobannon Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 3:06am by leah_s

jlobannon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlobannon Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 12:34am
post #1 of 5

I have been baking for years; however I just got into cake decorating. When I bake my cakes, weather they be frm a box mix or scratch, when they cool, and I put them on my turn table to crumb coat, my icing always pulls the cake and then the cake crubmles and falls apart! I end up having to run to my local bakery to get a cake for whatever occasion I am baking for.

I would like to know is there a different type of cake we are supposed to use that does not crumble when frosted?

I see on the cake shows on TV how they just take their cakes, level, and fill and stack with no problem. My cakes ALWAYS crack, crumble, and fall apart.

HELP!

4 replies
DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:38am
post #2 of 5

When I first started decorating my cakes - as soon as I applied the icing - they fell apart - the icing stuck - it was a huge mess! lol
The reason - my icing was waaay to thick! Next time try adding a extra tablespoon of water, it should be a thin consistency when icing a cake - if it's still to 'stiff' try adding one more tablespoon!

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:40am
post #3 of 5

Also - put your cake in the fridge for an hour or so - before you ice it icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:41am
post #4 of 5

agree .... sounds like your icing is too thick.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 3:06am
post #5 of 5

agree. Icing should be about the same consistency as stiff whipped cream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%