Smooth Ice

Decorating By MnSnow Updated 8 Feb 2011 , 4:59am by MnSnow

MnSnow Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone ever heard of a product called smooth ice?

I had a bride call and asked if I had ever used it. She said it was similar to fondant but not fondant. I have to confess to never hearing about it.

5 replies
beenie51 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 6

Haven't head of it but could she mean Satin Ice and has just got the name wrong.
You could also google it, I love google for some quick information. If there is a new product out there I would think you would find it on google.
Hope that helps Beenie

MnSnow Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 6

See and that's what I thought too. I thought perhaps she was meaning rolled buttercream, but insisted it was used by other bakers and wasn't fondant.

MnSnow Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 6
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 6

That's OK for petit fours or cupcakes, but not realistic for a wedding cake.

There was a time when people did do whole cakes in poured fondant (just thick sugar glaze) and it can look great, but it's a lost technique and takes some real practice to get it right.

The other downside is that it doesn't cut nicely and it tastes like thick donut glaze icon_eek.gif

Don't get roped into something you're not familiar with, especially for a wedding cake!


MnSnow Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 4:59am
post #6 of 6

I turned it down. I think it was a bridezilla in the making. I was just wondering about if there was a new product out there.

Guess there really isn't and she was looking for a "great deal" another "baker" told her about. I suggested she may want to go with that baker then since I was not familiar with the product.

Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%