3D Helicopter Cake, Lifted Off Cakeboard

Decorating By DeniseBr Updated 12 Feb 2011 , 7:45pm by DeniseBr

DeniseBr Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 6

My son wants this for his birthday and I always like a challenge icon_smile.gif but I'm going to need some help on this one. I make 3 cakes a year, one for each of my kids and thus not the most experienced so bring on the details and advice. I prefer to make it of all edible parts.

So here are my questions:
1. How do you do this type of cake where the cake is balanced on just the landing gear?

2. Propellars - do I do this using Marzipan, gumpaste? Recommended dry time? How far in advance can I make this without it drying out?

3. How would you do the main rotor on top?

Any other know how you want to share, I welcome it. Thanks in advance for your help.

5 replies
audrey0522 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 6

Just a guess but I would think the board the cake is setting on is supported by more then just fondant or gumpaste "landing gear", Screws or nails or pegs could be attached to the bottom of the board and then covered in fondant.

Kitagrl Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 6

The landing gear would be dowels screwed to the board...you'd also probably need a dowel supporting the tail but you could cover those with "clouds" either gumpaste ones OR drape white satin or cotton around to look like clouds.

You'd have a board supporting the bulk of the cake and maybe icing or a tiny bit of RKT under the board to round out the underbody of the cake.

Good luck!

Manderly42 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 6

Here is a cake board template I whipped up in paint. I think this is what the other posters were referring to..?

As for clouds - white (or even light blue) cotton candy would work and also be edible!

Manderly42 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 6

It didn't let me add the attachment, so I posted it in the gallery. Here's the link:

DeniseBr Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much. The template is a HUGE help, I was able to recruit my husband to take on that part. I'll share pics when I'm done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%