Icing Slide!

Decorating By agraham225 Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 5:10pm by agraham225

agraham225 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 15

So I make this simple 8" round cake, nothing out of the ordinary. Just a cheap buttercream cake airbrushed in a "camo-ish" pattern. Delivered this afternoon to a small house party and this is the picture she sends me a couple hours later (keep in mind this cake has been done for the last 12hrs and was fine even upon delivery)

So any idea on what happened? I am stumped, looks like it just melted off the side of the cake?! I have had 2 and 3 tier same buttercream cakes last for a day or two even traveling hours away, in the summer heat, etc and all come out fine! Not sure how such a simple little 2 layer cake goes so wrong, first time thats ever happened?!

14 replies
Darthburn Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 15

I'd say somebody put it too close to a heat source.... stove top, oven, heater vent... something. You don't just get melting in a local area, it would be the entire cake.

dukeswalker Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 15

hmmm....it also looks lopsided on the right side....

agraham225 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 15

I definitely agree with you, that was my first thought and I asked the lady but she claims it was by itself around no heat. I noticed this after I made this post, the cake is NOT in the location where I left it. It was not in the kitchen when I dropped it off and now in the picture sent, its definitely in the kitchen area according to whats in the background... GRRR.. icon_mad.gif

agraham225 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 8:46pm
post #5 of 15

This is a before delivery picture, wasn't perfect but it wasnt too lumpy and uneven either.

mrsbriggs06 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 15

the pearls (border) are a bit smashed... that looks like a "oh!! caaaaaaaake!" :touchy touchy: issue. melting bc would slide, but the pearls shouldn't be disturbed.

oh-- or someone was moving something near the cake (another food platter, etc) and it got hit.

Darthburn Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 8:57pm
post #7 of 15

True, could have been an oops. You are right,the pearls are crunched too. No matter what, I seriously doubt it was anything to do with design or execution. If it was dropped off fine, you're job was done correctly.

crp7 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 9:01pm
post #8 of 15

Looks like someone/something ran into it or possibly they picked it up by the edges of the cake board and bent the cake.

BlakesCakes Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 15

Looks like something "hit" or pushed on the crusted buttercream--a hand, a decoration, a camera lense, etc.

Perhaps a bubble began to appear and someone tried to push it flat without knowing how to do it properly--insert a pin near the bottom and very gently press in & down??

That type of focal breakage was done from the outside.

I agree that you dropped off the cake in perfect condition and now it's out of your hands. Nothing for you to do here.

Rae

mom2twogrlz Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 9:12pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by crp7

Looks like someone/something ran into it or possibly they picked it up by the edges of the cake board and bent the cake.

That's what I was thinking, they bent the cake. It isn't on a super sturdy board, so if someone, who doesn't know how to handle cakes picked it up by the sides, you could have bendage. It doesn't look melted to me, that would be more of a slothing effect. This looks cracked, which would make me thing air bubble explosion, or cake bendage.

CWR41 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 11:05pm
post #11 of 15

My diagnosis--it was dropped. (the icing wasn't buckled on the "groom" side in the before photo.)

It didn't melt, nor was it touched, bumped, or attempted to be repaired (the airbrushing would show signs if it was poked or if something hit the cake... that's not to say that something couldn't have bumped into the edge of the cake board while it was being carried).

There are other reasons that could have caused this, but I don't believe they would apply since you mentioned that it was finished 12 hours before delivery without any problems.

agraham225 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:33am
post #12 of 15

I also thought about all these things. I am sure that it was not any error on my end. I did not think about picking up the side of the cake board, and I also didn't think about it being dropped.. All of these things could have happened that she would not(probably) tell me about anyway. I ended up giving her a half refund, and she was very satisfied with taste, and design(before it messed up anyway). Thanks again everyone!

CWR41 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:55am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by agraham225

I also thought about all these things. I am sure that it was not any error on my end. I did not think about picking up the side of the cake board, and I also didn't think about it being dropped.. All of these things could have happened that she would not(probably) tell me about anyway. I ended up giving her a half refund, and she was very satisfied with taste, and design(before it messed up anyway). Thanks again everyone!

Ouch! It was delivered in good condition, and it was the back of the cake... they probably didn't care since it didn't show and wasn't damaged enough to cause a catastrophe. I hope they weren't asking for a partial refund.

leah_s Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 3:05am
post #14 of 15

I agree with dropped. I accidentally dropped a cake years ago and that's what ti looked like.

agraham225 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 5:10pm
post #15 of 15

She did ask for a refund! I was a little hesitant, but ended up giving in, because I couldn't really "prove" it wasn't my fault. I think she didn't want to pay in the first place! icon_cry.gif I will definitley know for next time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%