Calling All Sugarveilers -- Help!!!!!

Decorating By bobwonderbuns Updated 16 Feb 2011 , 3:19am by emilyg

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 15

Hi Everyone!

Okay, so I got the SugarVeil and I decided to play with it this weekend. Now I focused solely on the lace mats before moving on and hence this is where my problem lies.

I made a batch of SugarVeil -- 1 Cup SV to 1/3 plus 2 TBSP boiling water. Mixed, whipped, let set overnight. I noticed it was like a thicker consistency royal icing. Next day, I rewhipped for a minute or two and spread on the lace mats. I have two lace mats I bought. Well I tried to get it spread evenly as well as possible, but that last swipe I could NOT for the life of me get it clean like she does in the video. Okay, something to work on. All this took place Friday night and Saturday morning.

Fast forward to this morning, I tried to release from the lace mats and the Sugarveil is sooooooo crunchy I can't even get a start to release from the lace mats!! icon_cry.gif I'll have to wash the mats to get it off I suppose.

So, to all you who SugarVeil, what do you think I did wrong and how can I correct this situation?? (Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated!!) icon_lol.gif

Thanks everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

14 replies
DianeLM Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 15

I've never tried the lace mats, but I've had my share of SugarVeil successes and disasters.

First, how old is your SugarVeil powder? They claim it has a one year shelf life, but I've found that once the bag is opened, it has about 5 minutes of life left. icon_sad.gif

Have you tried lifting the lace further in from the edges? Might just be the edges that have over-dried.

Oh, and I always have to whip mine longer than the recommended time.

Hope you get this figured out. Have you emailed Michelle at SugarVeil?

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 15

Well the Sugarveil powder is brand new, opened Friday night. It's the 5 lb tub which was resealed immediately.

I'm still playing with the lace mats -- to no avail! icon_cry.gif

I'll keep you posted. I haven't written Michelle yet, she's next on the list.

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 15

Well I just tried again with the mat and the words "sticky and crumbly" are the only ones that describe the SugarVeil. It didn't pull off the mat, it broke up very crumbly like and stuck to my fingers. NOTHING like in the video!! icon_rolleyes.gif

dreamacres Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 15

So sorry to hear you are having trouble. I tried several times before I got it to work. If it is sticky, it is not ready to come off the mat. Sounds simple right?? Well not so much because if you let it stay on the mat in the air too long it will dry too much and get crunchy. No clue how you can have crunchy and sticky at the same time. Michelle is awesome and will help you figure it out. Since you are having trouble getting in cleanly onto the mat I wonder if you have thick and thin spots. That is all I can think of that may be happening. You need to really rub the product down into the mold and clean off excessl. It is kinda sticky, did I say kinda??? but once you get one you will love it.

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 15

Well it's crumbly coming off the mat (in little pieces.) But those pieces are sticking to my fingers, getting all gummy and I have to constantly wash my hands!

I'm sure I had thick and thin spots, even though I tried to get everything even. I'm not giving up yet! icon_biggrin.gif

dreamacres Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 15

I put a small amount on the mat, use the back of a spoon to push the product around till all the valleys are filled. the plan is not to have enough product to do the last corner. Then I get out my scrapper and smooth everything around, filling the last bit with what I scrapped off. It takes very little product and if you get too much on the mat it is hard to work with. Much easier to add a few drops then scrap off a bunch.

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 1:25am
post #8 of 15

Well I had to wash the mats in hot water to get the sugarveil off. It was soooo crumbly and still stuck to the mat -- I couldn't get it to pull off at all. I'll try it again tomorrow and keep y'all posted! icon_biggrin.gif

emilyg Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 5:59am
post #9 of 15

Hi BobWonder,

Here are some tips for working with the Confectioners' Mats (BTW, if you have dried SugarVeil in the mats, just soak them for 5 minutes or so and all rinses out easily and cleanly}. Not sure what mats you have - the Circles Bouquet is the most delicate of all of them, so if you also have the Lace Mat or any of the other mats, work with them first:

1. Sounds as if it's really dry where you are (like living near the desert, or if you've a furnace going and the humidity is really low), which resulted in SugarVeil drying much too quickly. Also note that dry air can also come from being in the vicinity of blazing ovens or in the path of a furnace duct - if this is the case, pick a different location to work/set SugarVeil. Here's a helpful trick when combatting a dry environment: Instead of the usual 4 minutes with a whisk attachment, beat SugarVeil a full 10 minutes with the paddle attachment. The next day just before use, beat it again a few minutes with the paddle attachment. If you've still SugarVeil from your experiments yesterday, it'll work great without having the initial paddle beating - just paddle-beat a few minutes immediately before you use it again.

2. When you spread SugarVeil onto the mat, you need to spread it over and over again, lengthwise, crosswise, and diagonally. Don't be fooled just because the mat looks white after a few strokes - you need to really pack layers of SugarVeil into those tiny incised lines.

3. You mentioned you weren't able to get a clean swipe for the last swipe - don't worry too much about this in the beginning. Once you get going on producing lace, you'll see that you can spot clean those whiskers with a just slightly damp (not wet) towel. If you do this, be sure not to introduce any moisture into the lines, because it will weaken them.

4. If you have both sticky and dry spots on the mats, dreamacres had it right - you have thick and thin spots. This is remedied by repeated spreading. Keep the angle of the spreader close to the mat when spreading and you won't scrape SugarVeil out of the mat. As you spread SugarVeil, you are always pressing the back of the Confectioners' Spreader down with the pads of your fingertips - something you will eventually get the hang of with a little practice. When setting SugarVeil, it's also helpful to rotate the mat periodically, to make sure one side of the mat is not in a drier area than the other

5. If you wait too long before removing the lace (leaving to set overnight is usually too long), and the lace is 'crumbly', just leave it in the mat. Mix a few drops of food color into some SugarVeil and cover the entire mat with a thin, solid area of colored SugarVeil. As this sets it will hydrate the dry SugarVeil, and you'll be able to peel all from the mat (it will be white lace on a colored background of "fabric"). Remember to peel the mat from the SugarVeil and not vice-versa.

6. Another trick if your humidity is so dry it's in the single digits is to place the entire mat in a plastic zipped bag to set (Ziploc makes a great 2.5 gal. one). Read more about this in "SugarVeil in Very Dry Conditions" here: http://ow.ly/user/sugarveil?t=doc There are also more tips for using SugarVeil in the Confectionery Mats, and a great recipe for SugarVeil Coconut Chocolate Bark.

Please email me at [email protected] if you've any questions at all. Ask in your email that it be given to me personally - I want to follow your progress, and it helps me to know generally what info was the most helpful. Since we want for everyone to be easily successful with the Confectioners' Mats, we will truly drive you nuts by checking on you. There is really always a solution - it's just knowing all your specific details so we can communicate a specific solution for you.

Thanks much BobWonder,

Michele Hester

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 3:04pm
post #10 of 15

Wow! Thanks Michele, that is really helpful!! I'm in Michigan and yes, we had the furnace going with a humidifier in the other room. That makes sense!! I'll definitely give it another go and keep you updated!! I have the lace mat and the flower net mat. Thanks so much for your assistance! And thanks to the other Sugarveilers out there too!! I'll keep you posted on my progress! icon_lol.gif

emilyg Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 5:05pm
post #11 of 15

Great - begin with the Lace Mat. It's the best one on which to learn.[/i]

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 4:04am
post #12 of 15

Well it worked!! I did a lot of things differently, paying close attention to everything and it worked!! This is soooo cool!! So far I've only got the lace mat to work, I'm still working with the other one but I'm hopeful!! Thanks for all your help!! icon_biggrin.gif

dreamacres Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 12:57pm
post #13 of 15

The really cool thing is I made more lace put them in a bag and could use them weeks later. Oh happy day!! Glad you are enjoying. Michelle is great isn't she.

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 12:35am
post #14 of 15

Thanks Dreamacres, you actually answered my next question -- my fabulous lace is now dust because I left it on the table overnight and it dried out something fierce!!! icon_confused.gif I'll have to remember to cover it!! Oh and you're right, Michelle is awesome!! icon_biggrin.gif

emilyg Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:19am
post #15 of 15

You guys just made my day - thanks so much for the thoughtful comments.

And yes, keep that lace in a zipped bag out of sunlight so you can use it at a later date.

Kind Regards,

Michele Hester

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%