Cupcake Pricing...again!

Baking By Cupcations Updated 12 Feb 2011 , 9:56pm by Paperfishies

Cupcations Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 7:27am
post #1 of 6

Yet another post about pricing...
I was wondering how much you will charge for my "Blue & Green" cupcakes, material wise not that expensive but labour wise....they do take alot of time to decorate...
I charged her $2.50 each, was that fair for both of us??
TIA thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
CreativeGirl220 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 6

Thats up there with DC Cupcakes. Have you ever seen their show on TLC? I went there and the cupcakes were so good. But thats about how much they charged for one cupcake. I think that's fair. Any higher would've been a rip off or more like your cupcakes better be top of the line ingredient wise to charge more than that.

alvarezmom Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 6

How much do you normally charge for your cupcakes with BC icing? Take that amount then add what you would charge for fondant decorations. So if you normally charge $1.50 per cupcake plus $0.25 cents per fondant piece then it would be $1.75 per cupcake.

Ali3971 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 6

I agree I take what I normally charge + Fondant piece + whatever else and come up with a good price.

aces413 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 6

It depends on the area, which I'm sensing based on the other responses (your usual price + x). For cupcakes like your blue and green, I'd probably charge at least $3 per. There is a cupcakery near me that isn't super famous (but seems to be doing well and is in a good location) that charges $3 per cupcake for simple buttercream swirls....and they don't taste very good. They look pretty, but not as pretty as yours and I know they spend like 2 seconds frosting them. I would think $2.50 for one of your cupcakes would be a GREAT deal, but that's coming from the land of $3 simple cupcakes....Anyway, I'd do some research and see what (if anything) is nearby and factor what they charge into your cost/profit analysis. Also, you need to account for your time...think about how much time it takes you to bake, frost, pack, etc....let's say you charge $30 per dozen and spent $10 on supplies--$20 "profit", but then you're not accounting for your time. If you spent 2 hours, that's only $10/hr.

Not to make this about me, but I've been having trouble with this as well...I currently charge $17 + $5 delivery for a half dozen (multiply base price for larger orders)...I put my website up a little over a week ago and have gotten 7 orders so far, but they've all been friends/acquaintances. I came up with my pricing by charging $2.50 per cupcake (less than the above-mentioned cupcakery), but then I added on the cost of the bakery box (which you have to pay extra for at the other place as well) customers get 6 cupcakes, bakery box and delivery for $22. I don't think that's too bad, especially given the convenience, but I'm concerned I might be charging too much...especially given that I'm new on the scene. I don't want to charge too little though, and end up making like $5/hr doing this. Thoughts?

Paperfishies Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 6

IMO, $2.75 isn't bad and it's a fair price. I charge $1.75 each for my regular non specialty cupcakes.

There is a chain cupcake place here in town that charges $3 each for their cupcakes and IMO, their cupcakes are crap. I am a total icing person, I LOVE icing! but they literally pile the icing 3 inches high on their cupcakes, I could only eat half one and was sick after that. The cupcakes are also very heavy, almost like a very dense pound cake. I went and bought a dozen of their cupcakes so I can do some "research" and compare there's with mine. I decorated mine exactly the same and had a few people taste test mine with theirs...Everyone of my cupcakes won against the chain cupcake place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%