Sugar Flowers?

Decorating By annie84 Updated 6 Feb 2011 , 5:08am by jillyscakes

annie84 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 1:17am
post #1 of 5

Gum paste flowers are the same thing as sugar flowers right? I had a client ask me in an email for sugar flowers instead of gum paste (along with a photo of a cake she is interested in that appeared to have real flowers on it...). I don't want to appear that I don't know what I'm talking about when I reply to her so hopefully someone can confirm that these two are the same. Thanks everyone!

4 replies
funcakes Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 1:29am
post #2 of 5

Yes, I have several books on how to make sugar flowers and they are talking about gumpaste. Some people are referring to gum paste as sugar paste. What's in a name? Well does gum paste sound like something your customer wants on their cake? No? Then call it sugar paste and they are all into it.

Cake muggles. LOL

Honestly, I think maybe sugar paste is the European term.

annie84 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 4:05am
post #3 of 5

Thanks funcakes! I'm glad I can give her the proper response now

cheatize Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 4:46am
post #4 of 5

My understanding is that sugarpaste is fondant, not gumpaste.

jillyscakes Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 5:08am
post #5 of 5

Fondant is called sugarpaste in the UK and gumpaste is called flower paste

Quote by @%username% on %date%