What To Put On Fondant Ribbon To Give It A Sheen

Decorating By MissyTex Updated 6 Feb 2011 , 5:51pm by DianeLM

MissyTex Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 6

I've been practicing for a wedding cake I am making in a couple of weeks. It will have a black fondant ribbon around it. I put it on my practice cake, but it looks dull. I brushed on some vegetable oil, but I don't really like it. It doesn't look uniform, looks a little spotty. What else could I use or should I apply the veg oil in a different manner?

5 replies
cashley Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 6

You can try shortening just a little and rub it on it leaves fondant shiny

kimma1299 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 6

You could spray soeme pam on in and then use a brush to even out the spots.

kathys90 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 6

You could try using pearl luster dust....since you're practicing first.

sillywabbitz Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 12:02am
post #5 of 6

With pearl dust you need to match the color because light pearl dust on dark fondant doesn't work right. There is a pearl spray and if you want something like a patent leather shine mix corn syrup and vodka (40/60 mix) and paint it on. It does take time to dry though.

DianeLM Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 6

Confectioners glaze will brighten it up without giving it a patent leather look. You can thin the glaze with a little alcohol to tone down the brightness. (I wouldn't recommend using confectioners glaze thinner to thin it out because I'm not sure it's edible. It does do a great job of cleaning the tools, tho.)

If you decide to try the confectioners glaze, you'll want to apply it after the ribbon is on the cake. If you glaze the ribbon before placing it on the cake, the fondant may dry out before the glaze is dry enough to touch. Want to avoid fingerprints, as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%