Food Safe Silicone Vs. Non-Food Safe Mould Methods....

Decorating By lynn1968 Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 10:45pm by lynn1968

lynn1968 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 3

it's been awhile since i looked up any prices on silicone for mould making, but it seems to me, and common sense would tell me, that the food safe silicone is more expensive. i would assume then that anything made from a regular silicone mould would be somewhat poisonous?

i'm thinking about doing some beer bottles for a budweiser cake for a friend, and not wanting to get overly crazy with it so i'm wondering how poured sugar in plaster of paris would work out? horribly poisonous? even if they don't eat bits of it (and i suspect there's always someone out there that can't resist eating 'glass'), would plaster handle the heat?

are there options out there for food safe silicone?

2 replies
auzzi Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 6:58am
post #2 of 3

Cheaper silicones contain fillers. The product can stick, warp, perish or break ..

how poured sugar in plaster of paris would work out

I don't know about poured sugar, but all moulds at the turn of the last century were made from plaster of paris ..

lynn1968 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 3

i'm wondering how moulds for ceramics would fare. i can find these things all day long for next to nothing.

i'm concerned with releasing toxins into the sugar, and what moulds would actually withstand the heat. i'm no chemist by any means, but at the same time want to save money (as long as it doesn't jeopardize the safety or quality, of course).

Quote by @%username% on %date%