Making Labels That Are Not Novels?

Business By chilz822 Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 10:03pm by Loucinda

chilz822 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 29

For those of you who apply ingredient labels, please advise me:

I primarily use the wasc (with a box mix) and also the durable cake which also includes pudding.

My question is: how in the world can you list everything in the box mix, the pudding mix, the sour cream, the flavored creamers, etc without writing a book?!? Not to mention possible mix-ins like Oreos for example.

I can see where there are some duplicate ingredients between the items so eliminating doubles will help, but my goodness theres sooooo much stuff listed!

28 replies
jjaj Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 29

I print mine up on a regular sized paper and attach to the clients receipt. I'm under the cottage food law, and it has to be a certain size font, so i gave up trying to make it small icon_smile.gif

chilz822 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 29

That's a GREAT idea, but I have to affix mine to my packaging at the market... it's just crazy how much stuff is in there. Scratch cake has what... 6-7 ingredients, but a box mix, straight without the 'extras we like to add in, looks like this:

Sugar, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Vegetable Oil Shortening (Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oils, Propylene Glycol Mono- and Diesters Of Fats, Mono- and Diglycerides, Polyglycerol Esters Of Fatty Acids, Soy Lecithin), Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate). Contains 2% Or Less Of: Wheat Starch, Emulsifier (Propylene Glycol Monoand Diesters Of Fats and Fatty Acids, Mono- and Diglyceriedes, Soy Lecithin, Citric Acid To Protect Flavor), Salt, Dextrose, Cornstarch, Artificial Flavors, Butter Acids and Esters [Milk], Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum.

lol, no wonder they taste good! icon_biggrin.gif

cheatize Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 29

I would use the smallest font allowed or I would make a tag and use a ribbon to tie it to the bag. I get confused trying to list it from highest to lowest amount used. With cake truffles, I have to put the ingredients for the cake, the binder, and the chocolate coating. I can only guess at the order of ingredients unless I list it all separately.

cakegirl1973 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 12:16am
post #5 of 29

My labels read like a novel, too, since I use WASC recipes. There just isn't any way around it. (Bummer.)

chilz822 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 12:53am
post #6 of 29

I'm thinking of doing a main label for the cake itself and a seperate smaller on that I can add on with whatever frosting and filling I altered the cake with... sheesh I dunno, it's soooooo much wording

pattycakesnj Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 1:13am
post #7 of 29

When I was selling wholesale (I had to have the ingredients listed too on the packaging, did you ever read the back of the candy melt bag) I used a business card as the label on front with name of item, weight and my business info and the back of the business card just had the ingredients. That was usually plenty of space. I punched a whole in the corner of the card and threaded ribbon (or raffia) thru that I then used to tie the bag closed. It made a pretty presentation and all info was on one card/label.

jason_kraft Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 1:46am
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

That's a GREAT idea, but I have to affix mine to my packaging at the market... it's just crazy how much stuff is in there. Scratch cake has what... 6-7 ingredients, but a box mix, straight without the 'extras we like to add in, looks like this:

Sugar, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Vegetable Oil Shortening (Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oils, Propylene Glycol Mono- and Diesters Of Fats, Mono- and Diglycerides, Polyglycerol Esters Of Fatty Acids, Soy Lecithin), Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate). Contains 2% Or Less Of: Wheat Starch, Emulsifier (Propylene Glycol Monoand Diesters Of Fats and Fatty Acids, Mono- and Diglyceriedes, Soy Lecithin, Citric Acid To Protect Flavor), Salt, Dextrose, Cornstarch, Artificial Flavors, Butter Acids and Esters [Milk], Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum.

That list of ingredients takes up slightly more than half of a 2"x4" shipping label (which is what we use labeling products) in Times New Roman 7 point.

I'm not familiar with cottage food laws, but you should be able to shorten that list quite a bit. For example, do you need to list all the vitamins added to the enriched flour, and you may be able to shorten "Propylene Glycol Monoand Diesters Of Fats and Fatty Acids, Mono- and Diglyceriedes" to "Propylene Glycol, Mono- and Diglycerides".

Just don't forget to include allergy information in bold at the end, for example: "Contains Gluten and Soy".

chilz822 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 5:22am
post #9 of 29

jasonkraft, yes, I'm using the same label and got it down to half. I think by the time I add the mix-ins, I'll have it filled to the max. icon_smile.gif

cheatize Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 6:02am
post #10 of 29

I haven't seen where we have to include allergy information. It would be nice, but there's only so much room. The way I read the Ohio law, yes, we have to include all that. We can't combine or leave out the specific flour information.

chilz822 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 6:08am
post #11 of 29

I read where someone, (sorry, I forgot who it was, IndyDebi maybe?), added the following line to her labels:

If you have ANY allergies to food of any kind do NOT consume this product. Product was produced in an area that has had peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, soy, and milk products in use.

motherofgrace Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 6:20am
post #12 of 29

I just put May contain/ have come in contact with nuts

Everyting else (liek milk) you can ask, I dont say im a specialty, so why would you think i bake without milk?

I do list it as an ingredient, and if you dont get it from there.... not my fault? lol

jason_kraft Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 7:17am
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

I haven't seen where we have to include allergy information.

It's not currently a requirement, but it probably will be within a few years -- there are lobbying efforts underway to add food allergy labeling requirements at the federal level, which would impact all food manufacturers in the US.

For liability reasons it is even more important to mention potential cross contamination (as posted above), many manufacturers handle this by saying something like "may contain traces of nuts" or "made on shared equipment with products containing nuts".

As someone who has severe food allergies, I (and my family) appreciate manufacturers who take the extra effort to put allergens in bold at the end of the ingredients list, and we tend to purchase products from those manufacturers more frequently. As we've seen ingredient lists can be quite long, and it can be easy to miss an ingredient or two, especially if it's somewhere in the middle.

scp1127 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 7:24am
post #14 of 29

Maryland requires the "may contain..." allergy alert label. I had them printed on pretty address labels. They draw attention but don't take away from the packaging. I put it on the inside of the box on the back top center so it can be seen as they see the contents.

Evoir Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 7:29am
post #15 of 29

We are required by law in my state in Australia to list not only ingredients, but a nutritional panel for every single ingredient in every product. I like this system, because as a scratch baker I like to show how few ingredients there are in my cakes and other baked items.

scp1127 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 7:38am
post #16 of 29

Well said, Evoir.

cheatize Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 5:13pm
post #17 of 29

Evoir, that's one of the many reasons I'm working on scratch recipes. The list may be shorter, but it can still be quite a list. For example, here's an incomplete list for chocolate and banana cake truffles:

Ingredients:

Banana: Flour, sugar, eggs, sour cream, vegetable oil, banana, orange, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, spices.

Chocolate Raspberry: Sugar, flour, butter, sour cream, cocoa powder, eggs, vanilla, almond, natural flavors, salt, baking soda, baking powder, citric acid, sodium benzoate, caramel color, FD&C red #40.

Candy Coating: Sugar, milk, cocoa butter, chocolate liquor, soy lecithin, vanilla.

However, this is not a scratch vs box thread. Either way you bake, I'm not fond of nearly giving away my recipes on an ingredient list, you know? I understand why it's necessary, but I'd rather not almost give away the recipe to fulfill the requirement.

Jason- it sounds like perhaps an allergen statement might be something we should start including so we can get used to it. However, I would word it in a way that is not specific to any allergy. For example: if I say may have come in contact with nuts (better wording than that, of course), that leaves out all the other possible allergies.

jason_kraft Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 5:38pm
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Jason- it sounds like perhaps an allergen statement might be something we should start including so we can get used to it. However, I would word it in a way that is not specific to any allergy. For example: if I say may have come in contact with nuts (better wording than that, of course), that leaves out all the other possible allergies.

The final labeling law will likely only cover the top 8 allergens: milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, seafood, shellfish, soy and wheat. Most traditional cakes would probably end up with a bold statement at the end saying "Contains milk, eggs, wheat and soy; may contain traces of peanuts and tree nuts."

scp1127 Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 5:38pm
post #19 of 29

Cheatize, it's not the ingredients, it's the technique that makes a good baker. Skill takes time. Your label reads like something people want to eat... a menu description for cake!

For anyone interested in a simple allergy label, this is Maryland's requirement:

Bakery used wheat, dairy, eggs, soy, and nuts.

I had Vistaprint make them on little full color address labels with a cupcake on it. The line is toward the bottom so that they can double as sample labels with room to hand write the name of the baked good. I put them on 2 and 4 ounce condiment cups. The labels are very cheap.

Annabakescakes Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 6:44pm
post #20 of 29

MAN OH MAN, am I ever glad it is not required in KY! My hat is off to the scratch bakers that can make a cake taste good. I just can't. I made yeast rolls yestrday and they were coarse and doughy on the bottom, lol. They tasted great, once you cut the bottoms off icon_redface.gif My kids and DH had seconds, but I would be mortified if they were for a customer.

As far as labeling goes, maybe print it on a sheet of paper, and fold it up, then stick a label over it to tape it to the container? My vitamins come that way, and I think my cough syrp does too. You could print:

Peel for Nutrition Information
Contains milk, wheat, eggs
May contain nuts

Most people won't even peel it, so most won't see the book.

Loucinda Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 8:55pm
post #21 of 29

Just an FYI for here in Ohio...the inspector that licensed me told me to TAKE OFF the allergy statement (I had it as the last part on my ingredient list). He said the list of ingredients was all that was to be on that label. Not trying to start anything, just saying what I was told.

scp1127 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 1:14am
post #22 of 29

Typo, Maryland label:

Bakry uses wheat, dairy, eggs, soy, and nuts.

Annabakescakes Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:31am
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Typo, Maryland label:

Bakry uses wheat, dairy, eggs, soy, and nuts.

lol thumbs_up.gif

cheatize Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:54am
post #24 of 29

Loucinda: isn't that also where the biz name, location, contact info, and the statement, "This product is home produced" goes?

scp1127 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 7:25am
post #25 of 29

Annabakescakes, this is really stumping me. When I am typing on CC, sometimes some of the letters won't work. Then it clears up, and then sometimes it drops about 20% of them. And it is never the same letter (as if my keyboard is failing). Now why doesn't it do it when I change my web site or I type on my email? And I am anal about spelling so this drives me crazy. If you see "edit", on my posts, I'm adding missed letters.

Evoir Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 8:52am
post #26 of 29

scp1127 - you sound like me with the anal spelling habits. My personal pet peeve is when I hit 'submit' and I JUST see a typo in the text I've typed! Arrrgh.

I get what you mean about not wanting to give away recipes or secret ingredients...but for the most part cake muggles are totally oblivious to the alchemy that is baking icon_smile.gif Your competition though? Hmmmmmm, not so sure they're that innocent!

Annabakescakes Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 2:16pm
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Annabakescakes, this is really stumping me. When I am typing on CC, sometimes some of the letters won't work. Then it clears up, and then sometimes it drops about 20% of them. And it is never the same letter (as if my keyboard is failing). Now why doesn't it do it when I change my web site or I type on my email? And I am anal about spelling so this drives me crazy. If you see "edit", on my posts, I'm adding missed letters.

It is this site, I type and type, and then I sit back and wait for the words to show up on the screen, like there is a 1 minute delay between my keyboard and the screen. Drives me bonkers. It is only this site! I have little patience for everyday annoyances, something that dumb just absolutely drives me bonkers. icon_cry.gif So I have been having more spelling and punctuation mistakes because I can't see them, I hit send and close the tab before I lose it and rip the keyboard off and beat the monitor with it. icon_redface.gif Maybe not, but I want to at least rip my hair hair out!

scp1127 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 7:53pm
post #28 of 29

I'm glad it's not just me. I don't type recipes to share because of this. Right now it is especially bad.

Loucinda Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 10:03pm
post #29 of 29

cheatzie - I have a seperate label with the business name, address, and contact info on it. I am licensed, so the "home produced" stuff is not required on my labeling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%