How Far In Advance?

Baking By DeezTreatz Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 10:55pm by lynn1968

DeezTreatz Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 8

Hello!

I am moving on Friday - and for some reason took on two orders LOL
Anywho.. other then that stressful situation I have agreed to make sugar cookie Hockey Sticks covered in fondant.

How far in advance can I make the cookies - the will be delivered on Thursday - eaten on Saturday. And how to store if I make them this weekend or Monday...

Any tips on making a hockey stick? I think I'll have to make my own cut out - and trace each cookie...

TIA!

7 replies
simplysouthern Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 8

I make my own cookie cutters when its a design I know will be hard to find. It may be easier for you than tracing each cookie? Here is the article I found here on CC for how to make your own cookie cutters!

cakecentral.com/articles/125/how-to-make-your-own-cookie-cutters

As for how far in advance I'm not 100% on the max time, I just know I usually do mine 2 days before the delivery date. That gives me time to work without panic but also keeps the cookies from tasting stale. I use tupperware containers to store.

cylstrial Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 8

I would make them on Tuesday or Wednesday. I don't want someone to eat a cookie more than 5 days old. (I actually prefer they eat them on day 2 or 3, but it's not always possible). Anyway, just my thoughts. You might have to do what you have to do this time, since you are moving.

DeezTreatz Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 8

Ok - sounds like I should make them Wednesday - as well as my cake lol
It will be a lonnng night! icon_sad.gif

Thanks for the link on how to make a cookie cutter!
I found this video - check it out - I might need to be folded twice though..
You'll know what I mean - looks ez though!

lynn1968 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 8

as an aside, i'm interested in making cutters, too. i'd read several, and some rather crazy, methods for making your own aluminum strips to bend. it occured to me that, hey, i *do* own a trophy shop, i can cut aluminum any length and height i want. just an idea ~ call your local trophy shop (every little burg probably has one or two) and ask what they'd charge for some cut aluminum. i'd be embarassed to charge more than a couple of bucks for a 12" strip, say a few inches high. these are pretty sturdy yet easily bendable. if you don't need a 12" strip, they can probably cut something for you out of their scrap in about a second and a half. hmmm... maybe i should market these, huh? lol.

simplysouthern Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 12:16am
post #6 of 8

Deeztreatz......love the video thanks!! Seems easier to bend than the metal! Im definitely trying this!

DeezTreatz Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 1:32am
post #7 of 8

I'm going to try making my hockey stick cutter tomorrow by that method - looks like it will work!

I never thought of calling a trophy shop - makes sense though icon_smile.gif - I may if I ever need
a crazy one! icon_smile.gif

Thank you!

lynn1968 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 10:55pm
post #8 of 8

a sheet of aluminum is roughly $3.50 (wholesale) for a 12"x24" piece, so don't let them gouge you on that price. and if they have a larger cutter, you can get it cut up to 24". i can think of no easier way to get a strip done perfectly even or fast.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%