Red Mmf For A Cake Board?

Decorating By dukeswalker Updated 6 Feb 2011 , 12:52am by oceanslayer

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 9

I need to cover a cake board with red fondant...I dont want to purchase it and I dont care if it tastes completely inedible (since nobody will be eating it). Do you think I could get MMF a nice, true red by starting with pink and going from there?

8 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 9

Most decorators on this site that make mmf, say to add your color to the melted m/m. Not after it is made. hth

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 9

yes... don't add your coloring after its already made. Add it to the melted marshmallows BEFORE adding the PS. IT takes a lot less color, less than half the kneading time, and you can control the final consistency better.

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 9

I just made an AWESOME red using MacMom's flavored MMF and adding 4 oz melted candy wafers and 2 tbsp americolor super red. It is a gorgeous red!!!! And inexpensive to make!

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 9

I keep reading about people who are adding candy melts to their MMF recipe....tell me more! Do you melt the candy melts with the marshmallows? What is the difference (taste, texture, elasticity, etc...)

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 9

You can also cover the board with the pink and then paint it red with gel color mixed with vodka. Red usually darkens a couple shades as it dries, so don't do it too dark or it will darken toward brown as it dries, especially with super red.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 12:14am
post #8 of 9

That's the link that I first saw it. I like the taste of MacMom's flavored mmf http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7351/marshmallow-fondant-macsmoms-bc-flavored-variation best. I melted the marshmallows separately from the candy melts and then added the melted candy melts to the melted marshmallow mixture at the time you're supposed to add everything else. I used this recipe for my recent spongebob cake, too. Adding two tablespoons of whatever color you're going for really makes the color BRIGHT!!!!

Seriously, it is soooo good!!!!! I'll post pics of my mickey and minnie cakes late tonight when I get them done and you can see how bright the colors are!

oceanslayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanslayer Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 12:52am
post #9 of 9

You may want to try pink strawberry flavored marshmallows.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%