Perfect Fondant Letters??

Decorating By bnmusician Updated 13 Apr 2014 , 11:31pm by MBalaska

bnmusician Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 10

I see many cakes on here with beautiful, perfect fondant letting. Are they using letter molds? If so, does anyone know where I can find them? (Im not talking about using cutters)
If they arent using molds, how are they making the letters SO perfect every time?

9 replies
abqgreene Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 10

I think most are using tappit molds or a cricut machine.

peggyslee Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 10

I know you said you're not asking about cutters, but a lot of people get beautiful results with the tappits. Here's a great tutorial that shows you the "trick" necessary to cutting perfect letters.

dukeswalker Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 10

I have one set of funky letters that I use - but if I need particular font, like Toy Story, or Porsche (see my cakes) - I'll print out the letters I need in the size I need on the computer - then I cut those letters out - then I lay them over rolled fondant or gumpaste and cut them out with an exacto knife. Arduous?? Yes - but it gets the letters I want. icon_smile.gif A little tip - when using an exacto knife to cut things out, try and use one continuous cut without lifting your knife.

jillyscakes Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 10

Gumpaste using tappits or clixsticks thumbs_up.gif

Coral3 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 10

I agree with others, most would be using tappits, clickstix or a cricut machine. Thats not to say that you can't get molds though, so some people may be using molds - like these for example:

I bought a couple of the firstimpressions alphabet molds, but what a pain! They are completely impossible (for me anyway) to get the letters to release without breaking/distorting. Plus it seems to take forever to get the fondant/gumpaste into the tiny cavities properly. I suspect their 'baby block' letters would work well, but as for the rest! Perhaps I'm just clueless to the 'trick', but I've never actually been able to make a whole word out of them, so have given up. It's SO much easier to use tappits.

simplysouthern Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 9:15pm
post #7 of 10

Clikstix, Tappits, Cricut, Tracing, or pin prick method icon_smile.gif My advice.....disown the word perfect from your vocab when caking LOL icon_smile.gif

KostasKakes Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 8:05pm
post #8 of 10

Did you try putting them into the freezer for awhile before taking them out of the mold???

MBalaska Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 11:30pm
post #9 of 10


Originally Posted by simplysouthern 

Clikstix, Tappits, Cricut, Tracing, or pin prick method icon_smile.gifMy advice.....disown the word perfect from your vocab when caking LOL icon_smile.gif


Oh what wise words.......even the worse placement of gumpaste letters beats my wobbly messy hand-piped letters.  ;-D

MBalaska Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 11:31pm
post #10 of 10

Oh yes, you could also try chocolate/confectioners coating letter and number molds.  Easy peasy also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%