Perfectly Smooth Icing On Sheet Cakes...how?

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 12 Sep 2013 , 8:58pm by 4chaos

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 12:21am
post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarMomma 

Thanks for the tips! I have used both the Viva and Melvira methods, but still can't seem to get the hang of a perfectly smooth top of the cake and any cake that is wider than the paper towel or foam roller. The cardstock tip is new to me, do you use it like a scraper? I have used a bench scraper for the sides of cakes, but again they were never wide enough to do the top without leaving a line. Thanks for the other tool recommendations.

I have always wondered how the supermarket bakeries do it when they surely don't have the time to obsess over perfection. Anybody know? I'm sure they are very practiced, but what method or tool do they use?

We use a speed icer and a plastic scraper to ice our cakes:  Use the speed icer on the sides first, then the top.  Use the plastic scraper to smooth out the sides first, then smooth the top.  Lightly spread the ridge on top into the top icing, one side and corner at a time, while spinning the turntable so you can eyeball the angle of where you're spreading.

It took me awhile to master it -- practice, practice, practice!  We're not allowed to use spatulas because it takes too long.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 1:14am
post #32 of 34

i used the icer tip for the first time this weekend. it was a mess! clearly I need to practice if i want to use it. 

heavnlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavnlycakes Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 3:42pm
post #33 of 34

I'm 13 yrs old, and have been icing and decorating cakes since I was 8. I use  the offset spatula, which works great, you can get at Walmart, Joann Fabrics, Hobby Lobby, etc. The consistency of icing does matter, if its to thin, it slips right off the cake, to thick, it pulls crumbs up and is very hard to smooth. You want icing that when you drag your spatula through is doesn't fill in completely. So, loose but not runny.

Also, dip you spatula in hot water, then smooth it out. It works like magic!

Anniversary cake I made.                   

Fourth of July cake

Hope this helps

Heidi's Heavenly Cakes

4chaos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4chaos Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 8:58pm
post #34 of 34

Just curious, I know the consistency of the BC makes a difference, but does the actual recipe contribute as well?  I read another thread about smooth BC and all the recipes mentioned called for crisco or the like in addition to butter.  My favorite BC has only butter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%