Wilton Course 1,2,3 - Need Info Please I Am Not From Usa

Decorating By BakedCT Updated 6 Feb 2011 , 8:31pm by BakedCT

BakedCT Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 8

I would like to attend the Master Class at the Wilton school but I was told that I should do the course1,2,3. I am not from the UsA so my plane ticket is going to cost a lot so I am thinking if the master class starts on March 28 then I would like to do the other course1,2,3 before the master class but trying to get information from Michael stores in Illinois is so difficult and I can't find their email address. I would catch a flight to usa earlier which would just be one expense for me and then stay longer to attend master class. Can anyone provide with Michael store email address or infor on course dates and cost.

7 replies
KakesbyKris Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 8

I can't tell you about the specific store, but can give you general information.
Each class is four weeks long, one class a week for 2 hours. The shortest amount of time you could complete them is in a month and that is if you were able to find a store that offered all three courses in the same month. So you would be taking all three courses at the same time, which can be done. As for costs, the Michael's here charges $45 per course and they are usually found being done for half price, $22.50 per course. That does not include your student kits which run around $35 per course. I assume the cost is close to the same in Illinois. You can order the kits and class workbooks. Have you asked about going through the courses on your own before the Masters? I am guessing that you are not a newbie if you are looking at the Masters class.
HTH! Good Luck!

sewsugarqueen Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 8

Have you done any cake decorating, piping skills, making flowers roses out of buttercream/royal icing/fondant/gumpaste. If you have the basic skills you can take the master class and it gives you all the tools. My daughter did classes 1-4 bought all the equipement and then did Master Class. She ended up with doubles of all she had bought from doing Wilton classes at Michael's/
One woman had never done any classes, took it , and did o.k. What have you done in past?

LisaPeps Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 8

I don't understand why you would fly to America and base your stay around completing Wilton courses, surely there are local classes which you could take? You don't state where you are from...

If it were me, I would use the money you are willing to spend on flights to go to a local culinary school or local cake decorating shop and do courses.

In my personal opinion, I think you'd be mad to fly to the US to do a Wilton course. Please let us know where you are from so we can see if there are options which would benefit you greater!!

chinadoll652003 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 8

Did you go online to find the course you wanted? If so did you see the register button beside the course? When I went to Wilton's site I found your course it starts on March 28 and lasts for 6 days. The classes start at 7 am and end at 3pm. We can't tell you the price of the courses because you will have to register for them. Once you register then you would go from there to pay for the course.

chinadoll652003 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 8

I made a mistake I just downloaded their catalog and the master course is 10 days, not 6. Do you also know that you will have to pay for lodging and transportation? The school does not offer accommodations.

Bakingangel Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 5:55pm
post #7 of 8

BakedCT - Good news! The Wilton Master Course accepts beginners! I remember watching a video a short time ago, and they like to train people from the ground up (so to speak). Days 1 and 2 start with basics. Don't worry about prior training. Your desire and determination is all you need. Have fun while you're learning.

BakedCT Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 8:31pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all for your help.

I am in South Africa so that is why I have to fly to America to do the course as we do not have any cake decorating courses such as Wilton. I will be working with the South African Distributor of Wilton, so the plan is for me to teach the Wilton Method (once i have training) here where I live and in a few other parts of my country.
This is a huge opportunity for me, as I have looked for cake decorating courses here but have found none.

The cake decorating knowledge which I have, I have taught myself. I have skills but lack the experience and would love to learn the correct way of cake decorating and who else would be better to learn from than Wilton.

I am aware that i have to pay for accommodation and flights myself. I have searched online for hotels near the Wilton school (they have suggested a few areas in their online catalogue)

The Master Course I see is $950 (about R7000 for me). A lady at the school who has been in contact with the distributor in my country suggested to him that I do the Course 1,2, 3 before I do masters and she also suggested I do the Course 1,2,3 in Australia - according to her it would be cheaper there than in the USA.

But from the questions I have asked The Wilton School - they said they do not have Master Classes in Australia. I asked do they have any classes in Australia and she said "no, only in USA ". So I am a bit confused as to why someone who works at the school would suggest Australia but then someone else says they only offer classes in USA.

Because my thinking is that if i am going to spend so much money on a plane ticket (about $1857 for ticket), I might as well stay longer in the USA and get all my training done one time instead of having to do course 1,2,3 in australia and come back to SA, and then maybe go to USA to do Master Class - does that make sense?

but I see someone posted a reply and said that even a beginner can do the Master Class. My goal would be to teach the Wilton Method here in South Africa in partnership with the distributor here where they will supply me with Wilton Products. I would be the first one to bring The Wilton Method here to my Country. They will also be contributing towards my training therefore i need to also get approval from them, so if I can gather all my information correctly and present it to them then I could be on my way.

So you guys are saying I dont need to do course 1,2,3? One of my questions I asked the school was: Is the course content in 1,2,3 also taught in the Master Class?? and still havent received a response.

I need to make a decision fast so I can apply for VISA and plane tickets etc as the Master Course is on 28 March until 8 April 2011

Quote by @%username% on %date%