Facebook Question On Comments

Lounge By leily Updated 11 Feb 2011 , 2:03am by tryingcake

leily Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 11:02am
post #1 of 25

So i recently set up a dedicated FB page for my business and had a a question for anyone that has a business page set up.

How do you get notifications if there were comments left somewhere on your page? I was just going through an album and saw someone left a comment on a photo 4 days ago....i had no idea. Then earlier in the week someone posted on my wall and i didn't know it until they sent me a pm asking the same thing (thankfully it was a family member on this particular one) but i dont want to miss these in the future.

I'm assuming i'm just missing a setting somewhere as i cant' imagine FB not allowing some sort of notification. I really don't want to go through every picture to see if a comment has been left.

Thanks for the help!

24 replies
Ambar2 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 11:32am
post #2 of 25

I get notifications via my email. You have to go to your "Account" on the top right hand corner and you should be able to add an email address. Then go to "Notifications" and it gives you lots of little boxes that you modify to your liking and viola! you should be able to get email updates on the comments. Check your junk folder, for some reason mine have been appearing there...

chefjess819 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 1:04pm
post #3 of 25

depending on your personal devices (i.e. computers, PDA's, cell phone) you can get notifications by email, facebook can send text messages, and the iPhone has email notifications sent straight to your phone. so you can know exactly when you get an email saying that someone did something involving your facebook account. like the person above said, in your account there are a lot of different settings that you can choose from. hope this helps!

sweetcakesbyjen Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 25

I was told to tag each of my photos on my business page. Before I would get notifications on my personal page but not on my business page, and now I get all my photo's notifications for each. HTH!

leily Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 25

Yeah... i know about the "account" page and options... i just didn't know which ones get me notifications for my business page. Most of the options are for my personal page, not for my business page.

Sweetcakesbyjen - when you taged each of your photos did you tag it with your business or with your personal? Thanks for the option.

sweetcakesbyjen Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 25

They are tagged using my personal page name. I do not think I had another option for my business name, but I never looked any farther than my name.

cheatize Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 25

It may also be that FB notificiations have been wacky for awhile. Sometimes I get the notification right away and sometimes it takes days to arrive.

Motta Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 25

I don't get notifications at all for my business page. I have to check it daily.

cakesbycathy Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:48pm
post #9 of 25

I only get notifications for my personal page. I never receive them for my business page. I check FB at least once or twice a day so I always check my business page then.

LogansMommie Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:53pm
post #10 of 25

I also don't get notifications on my business page. All of my notifications are related to my personal page only. I wondered if there was a way to get them on the business one, but haven't been able to yet. I just check my wall daily. I went back to an old album of my cake pictures one day and found a bunch of comments that I hadn't seen. Kind of annoying... wonder if that tagging thing will work...kind of a pain to go back and do that for all of them now though.

sweetcakesbyjen Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 5:44pm
post #11 of 25

Tagging works, and it is annoying to go back through all of your photos and tag them, but it beats going through all of your photos every day or two to check for new comments.
I missed comments for several days when I got my page going and told the person who commented that I did not get notifications for my business page, and another one read that and told me to tag my photos. HTH you all. icon_biggrin.gif

JulieMN Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 6:24pm
post #12 of 25

sweetcakesbyjen....thanks for the tip!

leily Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 7:16pm
post #13 of 25

Thanks for more info... i'm glad to see i'm not the only one in this situation... it is kind of frustrating to not get notifications for my business page -- i'd rather get them there than on my personal page if i had to choose.

kaat Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 1:00am
post #14 of 25

I've suggested it to FB - I think the more ppl who suggest it the better chance we have of getting it. I thought they had started adding notifications on my bus. page 'cause I did recieve a couple but it has since stopped.
So start emailing FB cake peeps!
thumbs_up.gif

CoveredInCake Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 5:32am
post #15 of 25

<-- has the same frustration. I will randomly find comments on old pics. I *wish* there was a way to set that up but for biz pages they don't give the option yet. icon_sad.gif

cakelady2266 Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 1:58am
post #16 of 25

I wish there was a message area for business pages on facebook instead of people having to post a comment, too. People post questions wanting cake prices and stuff all the time, I just leave a reply to email me directly. You would think facebook would have come up with something for businesses.

FromScratchSF Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 6:17am
post #17 of 25

I actually stopped posting photos direct to FB for this reason, it's just as easy to upload them to my website Picasa slideshow then post the link on FB to that album (duplicated on Twitter and Wordpress), that way I still hold the copyright, get notifications of comments via Google, and track how many people actually view each picture, for how long, and weather they bookmarked it. Facebook is a black hole for keeping track of your stats and you don't own any content once it's uploaded. Another bonus, this method also directs traffic to my website, which is good!

As far as I know there is no way to get notifications on a Fan page when someone posts comments either via status feed or on a picture (and at last Social Networking conference I went to, FB does not want to change that). You just have to check your Fan page every day for fan comments.

leily Posted 7 Feb 2011 , 3:27pm
post #18 of 25

FromScratch... thanks for the info on an alternative option. I never even thought to use Picassa Web for my business, andi don't know why i do for personal use.

I'm working on my website right now... otherwise i'd just send them there. It will be nice once it's up and running, then it will just make things easier.

sweetcakesbyjen Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 8:56pm
post #19 of 25

Hey everyone, Just wanted to let you all know that Facebook is changing the settings on your Business page and you can now get notifications sent to your email when someone posts or comments on your page!! Yay!!!

New layout takes place March 1, or you can change it now once you log on.

Dayti Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:13pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakesbyjen

Hey everyone, Just wanted to let you all know that Facebook is changing the settings on your Business page and you can now get notifications sent to your email when someone posts or comments on your page!! Yay!!!

New layout takes place March 1, or you can change it now once you log on.

That's good to know, thanks! Could you explain how to change the notification thing...I can't find where to do it icon_redface.gif

kaat Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 12:23am
post #21 of 25

Just got the upgrade! Once your page has the option for change it will "give you the tour" on how to change options etc.
Its now really easy to switch between posting as your business and posting as yourself!
Likin' it!

tryingcake Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 1:59am
post #22 of 25

They are upgrading as we speak. I got this on my business page:

Use Facebook as Your Page

* You now have the flexibility to interact with the other areas of Facebook as a page.

Get notifications when fans interact with your page or posts
See activity from the pages you like in your news feed
Like other pages and feature them on your page
Make comments as your page on other pages

* To try this new feature, you can click the link here or go to Account above and select Use Facebook as Page.

tryingcake Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:01am
post #23 of 25

I just upgraded. It seems I will not get notifications from my business page - I'm thinking I'll no longer get them for my personal page. Not sure. It's easy to switch back though.

tryingcake Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:02am
post #24 of 25

uh - I can't get to my personal page at all now...... anyone else?

tryingcake Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:03am
post #25 of 25

LOL- Never mind -

Click account and you can go to your personal page without switching back...

whew!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%