Anyone In The Uk Bake From Home?

Decorating By SamHarrison Updated 6 Feb 2011 , 2:41pm by Housemouse

SamHarrison Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 8:06am
post #1 of 6

I'm only an amatuer caker but hoping once my kids start school to look aqt starting my own business. For now I have been making cakes for family and colleagues. I'm not set up as a business, not advertising or anything like that buts omebody warned me I could be reported. Anybody know if this could happen as I'm not serving strangers and people are basically only paying for ingredients used?

Also, does anyone in the UK run their own cake business from home?

5 replies
paulapudd Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 9:42am
post #2 of 6

Hi Sam, I'm not sure how you stand for making cakes just for friends and family and just charging for the ingredients but if you did intend on making cakes for customers then you would need to contact your local Environmental Health Office who would have to come and check out your kitchen and ingredients storage areas and they would want you to have an additional sink downstairs in addition to your kitchen sink for hand washing. Hope this helps a bit

Emmar308 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 11:01am
post #3 of 6

Hi Sam

I am a UK homebaker - licensed and legit! You can't accept money for cakes, even ingredients only. Getting legal isn't too difficult, the first thing to do is contact the Enviromental health dept, they will tell you what you need to know about running a catering business from home, then they will come out and assess whether you are meeting those standards. You will also need to complete a Food Hygiene course (one day course, not difficult but very informative). Then the rest of the things you need to do relates to tax, companies house, registering your business etc - this is the part that takes the most time and is a bit faffy!

I started the whole process last September and have just launched my little website, really doing it all at my own pace just taking one or two orders per week.

Good luck with it all, hope this helps xxx

murrell Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 11:16am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmar308

Hi Sam

I am a UK homebaker - licensed and legit! You can't accept money for cakes, even ingredients only. Getting legal isn't too difficult, the first thing to do is contact the Enviromental health dept, they will tell you what you need to know about running a catering business from home, then they will come out and assess whether you are meeting those standards. You will also need to complete a Food Hygiene course (one day course, not difficult but very informative). Then the rest of the things you need to do relates to tax, companies house, registering your business etc - this is the part that takes the most time and is a bit faffy!

I started the whole process last September and have just launched my little website, really doing it all at my own pace just taking one or two orders per week.

Good luck with it all, hope this helps xxx

Hi, Could you please say more about the registering business, do you just mean with the tax man? I have just had environmental health check my kitchen this week and all is ok and have done my food hygience and sorted my business name and tax side of it and got my first order for once I start. Just wondering if I've missed something now. I want be vat registered so don't need companies house I understand. good luck with your business and sorry I wasn't any help to the original poster.
Sandra

SamHarrison Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for your replies. I really enjoy making cakes and have been making loads for people to get the practice in. I originally wanted to wait until both my girls (One is 3, one is 18 months) are going to school so I have the time at home to do it. Ideally I'd love to leave my office job and do this from home. I'm not sure I can wait that long, the idea is just so exciting and I hate the thought that I could get in trouble for making cakes for people from home. I will have a look into the food hygiene course and the envrionmental health inspection etc. I want to do some decorating courses first and get myself completely up to speed so I feel comfortable and confident making cakes professionally for paying customers.

Did it cost much to set up your business from home?

Housemouse Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 6

Emmar - I didn't realise you couldn't accept money for cakes made on an ingredients only basis. Why is that?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%