Decorating By leah_s Updated 5 Feb 2011 , 1:21pm by pieceacake830

leah_s Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:31am
post #1 of 34

Who's up?

Whatcha workin' on?

33 replies
leah_s Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:42am
post #2 of 34

No cakes tonight for me. I'm molding too many little chocolate hears for a candy buffet for a wedding show on Sunday. I may have to rethink how many of these I'm going to make.

cakecraft Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:46am
post #3 of 34

I'm clearing away for the evening, finish off in the a.m. Doing three birthday cakes: a hoodie, a bottle of Axe body wash and a shoebox/shoe. Too tired now for the nitpicky details.

Finished off an ambulance and a cow cake earlier. It's been a week of odd themes for sure!

cakecraft Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:48am
post #4 of 34

Leah, how many hearts are you making?

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:49am
post #5 of 34

I just made my very first batch of Sugarveil so I can play tomorrow!!! icon_biggrin.gif I've been really busy lately so this is the first opportunity I've had to work with it.

In other news, the blog is going well and I'm enjoying that a lot. I also have a great class of students in my Monday night buttercream class. This coming Monday it's piping, part deux! icon_lol.gif

leah_s Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:01am
post #6 of 34

gee, 3 or 4 pounds of the little hearts. Each one much be an inch. They're cute and all, and there are a lot of brides coming to this show so I need a good bit of candy for the candy buffet. I'll do the cake samples tomorrow. At the last show at this venue, I ran out of samples 45 minutes into the show. NO bueno!

leah_s Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:05am
post #7 of 34

I'm going to do a new dummy for the show too! Got an idea for a Damask. And a new cutter!

cheatize Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:09am
post #8 of 34

I'm researching for a cake tasting. I'd really like a good, reliable, scratch white cake recipe. Tonight I'm really wishing the Great White Scratch Off was completed. I may have to use WASC as the scratch recipe I tried last week came out dry.

leah_s Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:13am
post #9 of 34

Wonder, let us know how you like the Sugarveil. It's a cool product.

cheatize Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:14am
post #10 of 34

A new cutter? I love new cake toys!

Marianna46 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:15am
post #11 of 34

Celebrating my birthday tomorrow with a bunch of friends (it's not till Wednesday, but who wants to have a party in the middle of the week when everybody has to go to work the next day?), so I'm finishing up my cake and one for the daughter of a friend of mine whose birthday is the same day as mine. I'm actually away from home and without most of my equipment, so this is a real challenge.

I'm off to fix up fruit and cheese trays while the fondant on my cake sets so I can paint on it (I'm doing my take on the Grape Tier Cake by HelloCheesecake here on CC - thanks for the inspiration, by the way, HelloCheesecake!).

The cake for the friend's daughter is a wonky gift box with a bow and some flowers. In fact, it's so wonky I'm afraid it's going to fall over sideways. I stuck it in the fridge in hopes that it would harden up some and stop leaning so much. We'll see!

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:16am
post #12 of 34

Will do!! Hey what's this about a new cutter??? icon_lol.gif

leah_s Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:20am
post #13 of 34

Lemme see if I can find a picture. BRB.

Smashme Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:23am
post #14 of 34

i'm working on 3 cakes and 2 dozen cupcakes. i had a disaster and need advice. 1/2 way through cooking i smell something funny, my bake even stirp was burning icon_eek.gif i reached in and cut off the pice that was haning, but now my question is will it affect the taste, i don't think it was in there that way for long and it didn't catch fire just started to smell

leah_s Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:24am
post #15 of 34

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leaf-Motif-Cutter-Cake-Decorating-Gumpaste-Fondant-H27-/400193124232?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item5d2d5e7788

I've bought quite a few cutters from this Ebayer. They're very interesting.

Smashme, I think your cakes will be fine.

cheatize Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:25am
post #16 of 34

Taste the trimmings when you level it, that should tell you.

mfoxx9 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:30am
post #17 of 34

I just finished my son's birthday cake for tomorrow, and it's only 11:30! It's a carved 2-D football on top of a 10" round decorated to look like a football field (the round football field was inspired by Alongino). It's not perfect, but I think he's going to love it!

Smashme Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:33am
post #18 of 34

Thanks Leah i'm hoping it will be, the house is starting to smell like yummy chocolate cake. and i will be tasting the parts i cut off, good idea!

cheatize Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:46am
post #19 of 34

Ooh! Aahh! I can see that leaf cutter as the top of a palm tree, too.

jenncowin Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:47am
post #20 of 34

I just finished a Monkey themed 1st Birthday cake, have taken one cake out of the oven for a Baby Shower (Pea Pod themed) and another one getting ready to come out (Superbowl Theme). Doing dishes and then going to bed.

KJ62798 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:51am
post #22 of 34

Evening y'all Quick drop-in.

Just finished a small 2-tier BC w/fondant accents for a Founder's Day thing for my sorority tomorrow. I'm happy with elements of it but don't LOVE it. Feeling happy that it is finished as I had to work on this around a blitzkreig of potty training for my 3YO. Hard to focus & get anything done when you have to stop regularly to ask the little guy to go try. icon_rolleyes.gif

First attempt at using silicone molds for gumpaste pansies. The flowers are cute but attempts to bring out details w/hand painting and dry brushing were less than successful.

First use of SPS--easy peasey EXCEPT I don't thing I got the plate quite centered in the bottom tier. Top tier is level but there is something a little lopsided going on. Thankfully this a for friends/sisters who won't be super critical.

Calling it a night. Kids are shuffled off to Gma's so the DH & I got to have a peaceful dinner and now some stand-up comedy on Comedy Central.

Night everyone.
Kristy

cheatize Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:54am
post #23 of 34

Do you work okay with off-set stuff? I'm just now getting a handle on using an off-set spatula, but I have poor spatial thinking. They told me that when I took one of those career aptitude tests way back in 9th grade. I didn't believe it then, but I do now. Of course, that test also told me I was best suited to be a cashier, too. LOL

Edited to add: My husband, who does not have problems thinking spatially, loves his off-set mechanic tools. When we're in the store, he says he doesn't need them but occasionally he'll be working on something and need one. Then he tells me how glad he is to have them.

KJ62798 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 4:58am
post #24 of 34

The cutter is cute Leah. I could have used that for the Tiki cake last week.

Not sure if the angled coupler would be helpful. I think it would throw off my "angle of attack" for certain things. I can't get the right bag angle to do a BC rose worth a darn, that would just confuse me more.

OK--really leaving now to pay attention to the DH. Poor neglected hunny-man.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Kristy

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 5:00am
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

What do we think about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Angled-Coupler-Cake-Decorating--NEW-/400188878205?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item5d2d1dad7d

weird or handy to have?

Actually I had one -- someone gave it to me. I used it or tried to and I just could not figure it out. icon_rolleyes.gif

leah_s Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 5:05am
post #26 of 34

Wait Kristi!

What sorority?

(I'm ZTA)

Crazboutcakes Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 5:09am
post #27 of 34
Quote:

What do we think about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Angled-Coupler-Cake-Decorating--NEW-/400188878205?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item5d2d1dad7d

weird or handy to have?

lol not to sure where to go with that, I fell it would completely weird icon_confused.gif but once you learned how to work with it might just come in handy icon_eek.gif I think

leah_s Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 5:15am
post #28 of 34

Yeah, I'm torn too. Sometimes, though I need to get into a weird inside corner and it could be handy . . .

mrsbriggs06 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 6:31am
post #29 of 34

hey all!
i'm pulling an all nighter working on bday cakes for my kiddos. i'm throwing one big party and couldn't make things simple by ordering a cake or just making one cake.. oh no. i had go & make one for each kid, lol!

(of course, i think they each SHOULD have their own, i just don't like the labor part, lol!)

i'm doing a pirate ship for my little boy who just turned one, a topsy turvy peace sign cake (with a twist, there's a huge wooden peace sign on the center pole) for my 9 yr old, and a "tinkerbell on a mushroom-- a purple mushroom.... made out of BROWNIES!!!" for my 3.5 yr old. icon_surprised.gif)

i just can't wait to be done!

Unlimited Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 6:44am
post #30 of 34
Quote:

weird or handy to have?

I've had the (slightly less angled) Wilton one handy for the last 33 years. Never needed it yet!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%