Bridal Show Question

Business By lacey88 Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 11:32am by indydebi

lacey88 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:16am
post #1 of 6

this may sound silly...but i'm new with this business stuff.

i'm looking into being a vendor at a bridal show in april. this will be my first bridal show. my question april too late to start receiving cake orders for this year? do you think the brides who are attending this show are planning their wedding for this summer or next? it seems like kinda late notice to start planning a wedding for this year. i dont want to go into it planning on business for this year, when instead I would be getting orders for next year. any thoughts???

5 replies
sari66 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:45am
post #2 of 6

I think you're likely to find both, late 2011 and early 2012 shoppers. This April show may be for brides who got engaged at Valentines or who arent getting married till late fall and winter. If you're still not sure see if you can find out how many brides they might expect.

CakesbyGeorge Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:46am
post #3 of 6

The bridal shows I attend in Feb. and March I assume will attract brides for Fall, Winter and next year weddings. It is always possible there might be someone late in booking their cake for this Summer. I just had a call two weeks ago for a wedding this March.

Sometimes brides attending a bridal show now may be planning to get married in 2012.

I strongly recommend going and beginning to get your name out.
If they taste your cake and like it, they will remember you. Ive had brides who told me they had tasted my cake 2 years ago at a bridal show and knew they wanted me to make their cake.

Bridal shows are an excellent way to advertise. If they see and taste your cakes they will remember you.

Attending your first show in April might get you some bookings for this Fall and Winter and next year.

holliellen Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 6

I have a question on bridal show tastings. Do you serve cupcakes or tastings of cake that are all cut up? Just not sure how I would go about the tasting part of it.

CakesbyGeorge Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:13am
post #5 of 6

I always take 12x18 sheet cakes of several flavors to bridal shows.
I believe you get a better sample of cake cut from a sheet cake than from cupcakes. I don't think cupcakes are as moist.

indydebi Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:32am
post #6 of 6

The data I kept was showing me that October is the new June .... October is rapidly moving up to become the #1 wedding month.

brides have figured out that they don't have to get married right after graduation anymore ("I'm just a girl and no one will hire me if I'm married so why bother getting a job?" .... went out in the 60's); they don't have to schedule their weddings between plantin' and harvest anymore; they've realized that they can get married in the fall, when it's cooler and more comfortable and many LUV incorporating the bold fall colors in their wedding. (I can't even remember the last Pastel Pink wedding I did or saw.)

Many get engagement rings on valentine's day, so by the time they set a date and peruse all the websites and magz's, they are ready to start really looking in april.

You'll do fine.

We have an venue that has a bridal show every quarter. I have a photog friend who refuses to miss ANY of these shows because they're so successful for him.

Quote by @%username% on %date%