How Do I Get White Cake Batter

Lounge By momd68 Updated 5 Feb 2011 , 10:54pm by BlakesCakes

momd68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momd68 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 1:30am
post #1 of 6

This may be a dumb question. I know I can buy white cake mix, I will be using wasc recipe.On a couple of months I am making a lot of cupcakes for my nieces graduation party and I really don't want to be separating egg whites and if I use the whole egg well then I am going to have a more yellow cake batter. The color of her school colors are blue and gold and I am thinking about doing some batter blue and some gold but if the batter is yellow then wouldn't I be getting a green batter? Will the Wilton white whiten the batter if I use whole eggs? If so, how much will I need to use? TIA

5 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 1:40am
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmom

I am thinking about doing some batter blue

If I understand correctly, your concern is with the blue batter using whole eggs instead of just egg whites. Whole eggs won't turn the white batter completely yellow, it just won't be a pure white, so you won't get green as a final result. The great thing is that you'll get to see the exact color while you're mixing it... it won't change or fade. Keep adding blue until you reach the color you desire. (I've used blue Kool-aid along with food coloring, and it makes for a great tangy citrus flavor!)

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:20am
post #3 of 6

Buy egg whites in the little cartons.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:21am
post #4 of 6

I don't like to use the white liquid food color as I think that it can affect flavor & texture.

If I want to whiten batter made with whole eggs, I add a few dots of violet gel/paste color at a time and it whitens nicely.

Given that you're going for blue, you don't really need to do this, as state in the above post, but it may help at another time.

HTH
Rae

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

If I want to whiten batter made with whole eggs, I add a few dots of violet gel/paste color at a time and it whitens nicely.

HTH
Rae

Great tip!!!! Will this also whiten the batter if you use butter in the mix?

Thanks!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 10:54pm
post #6 of 6

Yes!

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%